Airport Utility 6 -- No Archive Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sjjubb1989, Feb 12, 2012.

1. sjjubb1989 macrumors newbie

I just updated my Airport Utility today to version 6, and I noticed that the archive button is gone. Is there any way to archive the time capsule to an external drive now?
    I do not want to do a slow network transfer, and would much rather have the time capsule take care of everything.

This is just great, as I was thinking why would I want to archive my time capsule, and then today I wanted to back up my TC so I could erase it and hopefully troubleshoot my slow data access.

2. sjjubb1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I'm not sure whether this is advisable or not, but it seems like you can browse to the TC drive in finder and manually copy the sparsebundle itself, no?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Airport Utility 6 is missing a lot of features. Download Airport Utility 5.6 from Apple and install that to get the missing capability back.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

^ This. I really don't understand why Apple decided to cut the few useful features that AirPort Utility DID have in favor of a more stylized look akin to the iOS. I really do hope they do a 180 and enable these features again in their next update. While they're at it, I wish they'd add more features to bring the feature set of the Base Stations on par with other routers out there.

/endrant (sorry OP)

6. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

There might not be a way. My suggestion is to use version 5.6 instead (essentially the bug fixes of version 6 with the actual features of version 5): http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

7. sjjubb1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies. I ended up downloading the 5.6 version of Airport Utility. It was much quicker to archive it that way, than transferring it through finder (I started my transfer when I made this thread, went to bed, and woke up and it only copied 12gb of data [of 260gb] and had 6 days left). Needless to save, the archive command only took about six hours, so it was much speedier.
    I've had nothing but problems with the speed of data transfer on the time capsule, my average speed rate is 2.5mb/sec through hardwire, and around 2 through wifi. You'd think Apple would be able to make a better quality product, but oh well sometimes it is too much. I erased the time capsule, and plan on transferring my data back to it tomorrow [I'm guessing it will take another quarter of a day if not three days].

8. israndy macrumors newbie

Looks like version 5.6 of Airport Utility is no longer support by 10.8.3, maybe even just 10.8. Looks like all my Airport base stations can no longer be paired with my Time Capsule to stream audio around the house... I am trying to archive before erase as well, but I am able to move files MUCH faster than sjjubb1989 as I am using 1000Base-T cables. I am pretty much getting USB speeds so USB is likely the bottleneck, it would just be nice if I didn't have to send all this traffic onto my net to do the archive part anyway of the backup/restore.

-Randy

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I would try this. I used the archive feature to put the sparsebundle on an external drive since I no longer need incremental backups on my old iMac but I have since moved that file to a different external--not really sure how reliable it is--but it would seem that a simple copy of the file from Time Capsule to an external would serve the purpose.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

5.6 works fine for me in 10.8.3, and all versions of 10.8.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

5.6 will run once you get it installed, it is just that the installer will not run on 10.8. Follow the steps in this post to get it installed.