AirPort Utility 6, what happened to advanced?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GRMrGecko, Feb 2, 2012.

1. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

It would be nice if I had advanced options like how I had in the old AirPort software. They show no sign of IPv6 settings anymore, and I cannot see logs to find out as to what is happening with my internet. Something else that was useful was the ability to see computer's noise ratio which now you cannot do this. I also used the Mac Address monitoring so I can find a new computer on the network without having to go to that computer and see which IP it got.

2. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

Have a look.

Airport Utility 5.6

3. ghellquist macrumors regular

Not there.
    Seems like things only "advanced" users ( whatever that is ) is removed from the app.
    Might come ( or not ) in a later update.

You can still download the old version.

// Gunnar

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I doubt it, apple's M.O. of late is to simplify (others call it dumbing down) and so leaving out advanced features is seemingly the direction they're going

5. GRMrGecko thread starter macrumors member

GRMrGecko

Apple makes things simple but still provides advanced users with options in Finder. If you hold down option while viewing the "Go" menu, you see Library and other things like empty trash without asking about issues. In the Apple menu, option trigger other things. Why not in AirPort Utility make option so it allows advanced.

6. willieva macrumors 6502

Plus the new version won't work with older airport expresses. Rather disappointing that apple thinks that hardware they were still selling less than 4 years ago is trash.

7. dcnicholls macrumors newbie

At least MAC Address filtering is still available in 6.0, via (icon)>Network>Timed Access. I was alarmed when I first saw what replaced the familiar Airport Utility interface. Simplifying is one thing, completely removing stuff is a very bad idea. I didn't find out how to revert until Google pointed me to this thread, and later to one on the Apple support group.

I'm prepared to put up with some of the Lion "foibles" but I think Airport Utility 6.0 went way too far.