Airport Utility and using open DNS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Luba, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Is OpenDNS better than using Comcast/xfinity's DNS? If yes, how do I switch over?

I go to into Airport Utility and enter in the 2 openDNS numbers, something like 222 and 220, but at the bottom of the page there's a web address something.comcast.net (because I am using Comcast's DNS). Do I need to change that info too? If so, what do I put in that field?

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you mean where it says Domain Name in my screenshot? Just leave that alone. All you need to do is enter the OpenDNS server addresses where I have then apply the changes.

[​IMG]

3. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Yes, ok I'll leave it blank. It'll fill in on its own after I enter the 2 server addresses that you have provided below?

Why did you switch to open DNS? What was your reasoning for doing so?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Free filtering and security against stupid mistakes like writing criaiglist.com instead of craigslist.com!

Something to note is that the AirPort must be in DHCP and NAT mode for OpenDNS to work. It will not work in bridge mode.

5. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

I have my cable modem in bridge mode because I wanted to use Airport. I think I did see in Airport Utility that Extreme is in "bridge mode." How and where do I change to be in DHCP and NAT mode?

Also, if I take Extreme out of "bridge" will it continue to work with my cable modem?

Thanks!

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Absolutely! Go to the Network tab in AirPort Utility and change it from Bridge Mode to DHCP and NAT. If you get a warning about "Double NAT", then your modem is not bridged. In the short term, it should not cause any major issues but you will definitely want that modem to be bridged.

7. NukeIT macrumors regular

Did you set static IP's for your whole network?? If they both are in bridge you would have no one directing traffic.

If not one of them is acting as the DHCP server

8. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

When I set up the network I used default settings using Airport Utility. Basically, I only created a network name and WPA2 Personal password. Does default set a static IP for my network? I hope so, because if it didn't then I didn't do it.

9. NukeIT macrumors regular

No. I was pointing out that if both routers were in bridge then nothing would be assigning private IP addresses on your network. So one of them must be acting as your primary router.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... the domain name part will get picked up from your ISP.

I used this tool to test DNS server speeds and OpenDNS came out on top. Also has some nice filtering and anti-malware blocking features.