AirPort Utility cannot find devices

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pete1412012, Feb 16, 2011.

1. pete1412012 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody. I'm new to Macrumors forums. I would appreciate some assistance with some issues I have been having with my MacBook.

I purchased my MacBook 7,1, (Mac OS X 10.6.5) last August. I have had few issues with wireless connectivity in the past, but since moving to a new flat in January I have had no end of problems.

I am using a Thomson TG585 router to connect to my wireless network. This is an 802.11b/g wireless LAN access point with integrated ADSL2+ modem. I have been experiencing problems with my MacBook failing to connect to the wireless network via AirPort. My girlfriend's notebook (a MSI Wind U100 with Windows XP Home) has never had any issues connecting to the same network.

I have also noticed that when I run the AirPort Utility, it cannot find any AirPort wireless devices, even when my router is connected to the MacBook via the ethernet cable. I have attached a screenshot which shows that the AirPort connection is successful but the device cannot be found.

I also include the following details for your information:

Software Versions:
    Menu Extra: 6.2.1 (621.1)
    configd plug-in: 6.2.3 (623.1)
    System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
    Network Preference: 6.2.1 (621.1)
    AirPort Utility: 5.5.2 (552.11)
    IO80211 Family: 3.1.2 (312)
    Interfaces:
    en1:
    Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x93)
    Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.1)
    Locale: ETSI
    Country Code: GB
    Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
    Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140
    Wake On Wireless: Supported
    Current Network Information:
    Thomson87CAE0:
    PHY Mode: 802.11n
    BSSID: 0:26:44:87:ca:e0
    Channel: 1
    Network Type: Infrastructure
    Security: WPA2 Personal
    Signal / Noise: -34 dBm / -93 dBm
    Transmit Rate: 65
    MCS Index: 7

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I cannot connect my printer via wireless network either as it doesn't believe that my MacBook is connected to the network. I really have no idea what to try and am confused by the whole situation.

Attached Files:

2. rufftackle macrumors newbie

I have problems as well with the AirPort losing wireless connectivity and I get a message saying that an internet connection cannot be found in Safari. I have to turn the AirPort setting on and then back off before it will reconnect to the internet (even though its still connected to the router)

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

AirPort Utility will only display Apple-AirPort routers. It will not show you anything about a 3rd-party, non-Apple router. When an Apple computer cannot join to a network that other computers can, there are usually 3 factors to consider: 1) depending on the age of the router, is there a firmware update? 2) what is the security/channel of the network? 3) could anything be causing interference? Visit Thomson's website, plug in the model number and you should be able to find out how to access the router's configuration and determine the current/latest version of firmware available for that device. Macs prefer security of WPA/WPA2, so if you are using WEP, it may be time to tweak that, and if your girlfriend's computer is running XP Service Pack 2 or later it should work with that higher security as well. Channel and interference kind of go hand-in-hand. In your post, it indicates you are using channel 1. Below that, it should also show other local networks, ones that are your neighbors'. If you have the same channel as your neighbor's they will be in direct competition. You want to pick a channel not in use by any of the other visible networks, if possible, or barring that, in this case, try channel 11 which is at the opposite end of the channel spectrum.