Airport Utility can't find Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JimInFL, Sep 15, 2010.

1. JimInFL macrumors newbie

Just got the new dual band to replace my 10 year old WRT54. Followed the screens in Utility for setting up. New iMac came up great. Walked in the other room, connected my wife's Win XP machine - beautiful ! Now the real test - connect the Cisco Firewall/VPN box for work machine - WOW - this is too easy !
    So I go back to Utility just to review what I've done - it can't see the Extreme ? The one it just set up. The same one I'm connected to right now. But the utility can't find it. What am I missing ?

JimInFL

2. cadillac1234 macrumors regular

Dumb answer but did you check if your airport card is on in your iMac or your ethernet cable is plugged in to the right port.

I spent 15 minutes cussing out my express until I realized my airport card on my iMac was off :eek:

3. JimInFL thread starter macrumors newbie

Not at all a dumb answer cadillac. I neglected to say that everything I'm doing is wireless except the Cisco box is wired and of course the connection from the AE to my service provider's modem. My iMac and wifes XP are wireless only. That's my next try I guess, connect my iMac via ethernet and see if the AE shows up then. Haven't been in a hurry to try it, since everything else is working perfectly right now - just can't get Utility to connect to the AE again, after I initially did the setup (again, setup was wireless too).

Thanks for the response.

4. JimInFL thread starter macrumors newbie

Update. Connected my iMac via Ethernet and now Utility can see the AE. Don't know if I'm wild about the idea of not knowing why the wireless connection doesn't work, but I guess I can pursue it later.

5. karlosdaze macrumors newbie

Spent all day trying to set up this - no luck & pulling my hair out. I've just bought express & extreme. It finds them at first then go through all the config' steps & it can't find either. Yet my apple tv recognizes it. The config' steps won't let you start at square 1 & just keeps trying to find after that. I've tried all the resets, unplugs etc. Nothing. Airport is on - there must be something else I'm missing?