Airport Utility is Screwing Up on Me

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by toloratedmeat, Jun 7, 2008.

1. toloratedmeat macrumors member

I just bought an Airport Extreme Base Station with Power Over Ethernet UL2034 off eBay and I tried to configure it with AirPort Utility. My internet works fine but when I try to set up wireless. It says this:

Please make sure your Apple wireless device is plugged in and in range of your computer or connected via Ethernet and try again. (-6765)

When my Airport is plugged into the Ethernet and its sitting right on top of my eMac. So... Whats the matter? anyone? Oh.. And i'm sure it isnt faulty. I got the guy to test it and show me. I'm running Leopard.

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I haven't used Power over Ethernet before but are you sure that the ethernet can provide enough power for wireless? Is there not a power adapter that you can also use just to test to see if that might be the issue?

EDIT: Here was what an airport extreme manual says:

Connecting AirPort Base Stations Using
    Power Over Ethernet (PoE)
    You can connect multiple base stations that support PoE to 802.3af-compliant Power
    Sourcing Equipment (PSE), and send power and a network or Internet connection over
    Ethernet cables. Receiving power over the Ethernet connection eliminates extra cables
    and the need to locate the base station near a power outlet.
    The following illustration is an example of an AirPort network in a business or school
    with multiple rooms or buildings. Plenum-rated Ethernet cables connect to the
    Ethernet WAN ( ) ports on the base stations and to an 802.3af-compliant PSE. The
    base stations are mounted in the ceiling air-handling space, and are secure and out
    of sight.
    When the base stations receive power and a network connection over the WAN port,
    the USB port is disabled. You can connect the Ethernet LAN port to a computer or
    other Ethernet device, but power does not travel to the Ethernet LAN port.

So the base station receives power over the WAN port and it appears you have to use plenum-rated Ethernet cables, whatever that means.