AirPort Utility not Recognizing Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by roow110, Oct 13, 2011.

1. roow110 macrumors regular

I recently bought an airport express so I could use AirTunes to hook up multiple speakers to my computer. I don't have an internet connection, but you aren't supposed to need one in order to use AirTunes it says. Anyway, I set up the AirPort, plugged it in, connected the speakers, and installed the Airport Utility, however, when I hit "scan" in the airport utility, nothing shows up. What do I do?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Make sure your Wifi card is turned out when you try to scan.

3. Jahmez macrumors newbie

I'm having a similar problem. I have my printer connected to the airport express. I just updated to 10.7.2 and now I'm having trouble printing. I opened the airport utility to see if I could fix the problem but it's not showing up even after multiple Rescans.

4. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

try a hard reset. you might have to do it a few times. it used to bug me at first but now I'm used to it. It's just temperamental.

5. sksc macrumors newbie

same here

so I have a similar issue. I initially set it up for AirTunes and it worked great. went out, came home and iTunes could no longer see the AE even though the green light was on and it seeming looked like it was connected. tried it with my iPad and iPhone to no avail either.

so I carried out a hard reset, set it up from scratch and it worked again. however, every time I stop using it and come back, i can no longer use it for AirTunes or see it in airport utility until I unplug and plug back in.

it would be a royal ball ache if I had to do this every time.. has anyone found a solution to this or know what is going on?

thanks..

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

how are you setting it up?
    are you having it join your existing wireless network?
    having it create a new network?
    plugged directly in to a wired network?

7. sksc macrumors newbie

I set it up stop join my existing wireless network. I was under the impression the AE had to be setup on your current network to use AirTunes?

I have just seen anothe post regarding the same dropout issue and it has been suggested there to change the router channel, which I will try and report back..

8. sksc macrumors newbie

have tried changing the router channel a couple of times and this didn't work for me personally..

Apple need to provide clearer guidance in getting AirTunes to work..

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

just wanted to make sure, i've seen some people on here, have the express broadcast a network, and then switch over to that when they want music, and switch back when they want internet on their laptop.

have you tried rebooting your router? i know sometimes that clears up problems with mine not streaming.

how far away is the router from the express? is it possible that the signal is weak?

there are so many different reasons it could fail, it would be hard for apple to provide guidance.