Airport Utility not seeing Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaulFish, Mar 9, 2011.

1. PaulFish macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Please help, I am going nuts. I have an AX that I have been using to send audio wireless from my iMac to my stereo for about a year - no problems. Suddenly it is not working. I have tried everything, including factory reset and plugging in a wire to my iMac. The green light is on. If I go into my internet router I can see it. Airport utility (and itunes) cannot. Sometimes when I am resetting it, I can see it and when I do a manual set up and click save, it can't find it anymore.
    Help me please before I chuck the whole thing.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

This is a might not help but won't hurt, Try re-booting your main router, this has helped me before when i was having problems.
    Or quit and restart iTunes, at least in the older versions, it really only looked for connected expresses. when it started up.

What do you mean by "If I go into my internet router I can see it?"
    It shows up in the list of wireless networks?
    If it's just in that list, but you aren't connected to that network, you aren't connected to it, so there's no communication.

with an ethernet cable plugged either
    • directly into your mac
    • or into the router, if your mac is already wired
    you should be able to see it.

3. PaulFish thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am a little embarrassed, a bit pissed that I waisted so much time, and thankful that there are guys like you. A simple restart of my router and the whole thing is working fine!
    Thanks.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

no worries, i wasted a ton of time, and stretched ethernet cables across the house before i figured out that trick. My router now restarts in the middle of the night every day.