Airport Utility problem under iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mitstoshi, Oct 8, 2014.

1. mitstoshi macrumors regular

Open Airport Utility, internet is on but Airport Extreme Base station is missing. Turned off everything and on again, the Utility is looking for the Extreme! Is it due to iOS 8? No problem on my iMac. Any idea?

2. Markc1024 macrumors member

It's still functioning as it should for me on 8.0.2

3. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

The Extreme is functioning because I have internet connections on both iMac and iPad. But the Extreme is only found on iMac. The problem is the software Airport Utility on iPad. My iPad Air is on iOS 8.0.2 like yours. Any idea to fix it?

4. Solver macrumors 6502a

5. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

It is current (newest) model ME918LL/A 802.11ac

6. Solver macrumors 6502a

Looks like iOS 8.0x may have broken that app for that device. Lots of negative app reviews about this.

Does anyone if a new Airport Extreme, iOS 8.1 beta and the Airport iOS app work together?

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I'm in 8.1 beta 2, my airport utility app is working just fine from my phone. I can view the network and airport express perfectly.

8. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

I have an AirPort Extreme 802.11ac, and iOS 8.02. AirPort Utility displays both Internet and AirPort Extreme as expected.

9. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

My system is identical to yours and it also has worked for about 10 days until yesterday.

What are my options now? wait for 8.1 or try 8.1 beta? Can I reinstall 8.0.2 if is possible? Or drastically set up a new network?

Thanks

10. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

I'd try the following, if you haven't done so already:

1. Remove/reinstall AirPort Utility
    2. Reset your iPad (hold down Home and Power Button until Apple logo appears).
    3. Restore your iPad from a backup using iTunes.

If the AE is visible on your iMac, I think it is an AirPort Utility issue. There is probably no need to set up a new network.

Please let us know if the suggested actions have any effect.

11. UFGatorMel macrumors member

I have a newer Time Capsule. This happened to me this morning. I restarted my phone and Airport Utility started working again.

12. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

I have done the first step: remove/reinstall Airport Utility, but it doesn't work. Before I go on doing the next step, I need to know the consequences of resting the iPad. Can anyone help me on this question?

13. BeK macrumors regular

BeK

Holding down the Power and Home button will merely "soft reset" your device. No data or settings will be lost. Initiating a soft reset can sometimes help when software is acting quirky. You have nothing to fear.

14. jdag macrumors 6502a

I am having very inconsistent issues as well, and I am very confident that it is software related. My most notable and confusing problems are from my Family Room AppleTV and my iPad, which both have the latest version of iOS. None of these problems existed before the recent iOS updates. I also have 2 other AppleTVs that seem to be working fine, hence the inconsistency comment.

1) AppleTV - I am losing home sharing often, seemingly once the AppleTV wakes from sleep, but I have yet to confirm the timing. I have tried restarting iTunes on my iMac, and that solves the problem. I have also tried just rebooting the router without touching iTunes, and I believe that worked (I say I believe it worked because I tried so many things I can’t remember for sure).

2) iPad - I get “stutters” that cause me to lose internet connectivity while still showing as being on wifi, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for many minutes. In the Airport app, I seem to lose connectivity to the routers but sometimes can still access the Internet. That’s actually the main reason I think it is software related.

I have 3 routers in my house, the main Time Capsule and 2 Airport Expresses that extend wifi range. Also, 1 of the Airport Express units is connected to a switch which then feeds 7 other devices via ethernet.

I really don’t want to go out to the Apple Store with the router, only to be sent home with it, which is my guess as to what will happen. I understand that iOS 8.1 should be out in the next few weeks, along with the OSX Yosemite operating system. I hope that fixes the problem. If not, then I will figure out how to change out the router (which is still under warranty).

I really really doubt this is hardware, again all functioned perfectly before the iOS updates.

15. gc916, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

Just to confirm - are you entering your AE base station password in AirPort Utility to access the Wireless Client information? I'm sorry if it's an obvious point - I don't mean to offend you.

Edited to add more info:

I find that after I open AirPort Utility and enter my AE password, the next screen doesn't always include the Wireless Clients category. When this happens, I need to tap on "Back" at the top left of the screen. Tap on AirPort Extreme again, and Wireless Clients option appears on the next screen, just below "Network." I guess the app is buggy.

16. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

No, I have nowhere to enter the AE password. The AE is not there when I open the Airport Utility.

----------

Is Soft Reset equivalent to Restart ? Is the procedure the same?

17. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yes reboot your phone and you should be fine. I have no issues with mine at all.

18. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone, the problem is solved by restart the iPad.

19. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916