AirPort Utility version incompatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rikers_mailbox, Apr 4, 2010.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

I just picked up a shiny new Airport Extreme (Simultaneous Dual-Band II) that runs the latest firmware update 7.5.1 (also has 7.5 available).

I'm trying to administer the new Airport Extreme from an old 12" PowerBook running OS X 10.4.11 . It has AirPort Utility 5.4.2

To administer Airport Extreme 7.5.1, the newly released AirPort Utility 5.5.1 is needed. However this is only for OS X 10.5.7 or later.

Alternatively, AirPort Utility 5.5 is on the install disk that comes with the new AirPort Extreme, but this also requires 10.5.7 or later.

I am unable to administer the new AirPort Extreme from my 12" PowerBook. Furthermore, I don't see anything written on the box that indicates system requirements must be 10.5.7 or later.

This annoys me.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Unfortunately I cannot be of much comfort or help to you in terms of getting your current situation working, but if you check the system requirements on the product page in the online Apple store, it does state that 10.5.7 is required to administer the AirPort Extreme. Although you do bring up a good point about them not mentioning it on their packaging. A little misleading if you ask me :(

It seems that Apple is phasing out support for Tiger, and as much of a pain as it is for current Tiger users, it's to be expected. They're on Snow Leopard now and still supporting Leopard.

It would seem that the only way you'll be able to administer your Extreme is either to use a Mac with Leopard or Snow Leopard installed, or a Windows machine with at least XP SP3. Would it be at all possible for you to borrow a friend's laptop to set things up? Good luck figuring something out!

3. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

I omitted the part that I've been using my MacMini running 10.6.3 to set things up. :) I just wanted to be able to do it from my laptop as well, save from running between routers! I still use the 12" PowerBook a lot, but I'm planning to replace it with 13" MacBook Pro after the next refresh (Intel i5, pls).

It took many attempts, lots of running up/down stairs, but my wireless network is finally upgraded w/ the new AirPort Extreme. I replaced an older AirPort Extreme (UFO, 802.11b/g) which I gave to my father.

I also have an 1st gen AirPort Express (802.11b/g only) that I use as a WDS remote network extender. Getting this to behave as a WDS remote with the new simultaneous dual-band Extreme is TRICKY. The older AirPort Express only extends networks in WDS-mode, the newer and simpler Extend Network mode isn't an option.

The secret to configuring the new Extreme to act as a WDS main station is to hold down 'alt / option' when selecting the Wireless Mode. This makes "participate in WDS network" appear in the dropdown menu. Otherwise it's not there!

Also, the Apple Support pages say WPA/WPA2 isn't compatible with WDS networks, however mine is set up using this type of security and it seems to be working fine.

4. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

I should also mention ... it IS actually possible to admin AirPort Extreme 7.5.1 from AirPort Utility 5.4.2. Just hit Continue and cross your fingers. :D

Attached Files:

5. psxguru macrumors 6502a

You could always use vnc/screensharing to control the mac mini from your powerbook.

6. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

.. provided the network is working. Not the case since i was setting it up.