AirPort Utility - What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bobnlyne, Jan 30, 2012.

1. bobnlyne macrumors member

My software update showed iTunes 10.5.3 and AirPort version 6.0.0 ready to be downloaded. So I clicked update and sat back to watch the evening news. Seemed like a routine process, and iTunes updated just fine.

But when I launched AirPort I got a drop-down stating that a newer version (6.0.0) is available, click to update. Huh??? When I checked the version installed it came back as 5.3.3. So I went back out to software update and it said my software was "up to date."

SO, what happened to the downloaded version 6.0.0? Why didn't it overwrite 5.5.3? It's got to be somewhere on the hard drive because my software is "up to date!"

So what happened? And more important, how can I fix it? This is a first for me.

Over to y'all.

2. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Go Here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/
    and download the update manually. Then install it.
    Once it's in, start the App up and install the firmware update as shown in the startup window.

The first time I tried using "Software update", the download failed.
    It went through the second time, but it sounds as if your problem happened after the download.

3. bobnlyne thread starter macrumors member

Didn't work. App says I've already got the 7.6.1 firmware installed, but the utility is still 5.5.3. And the drop down still tells me the 6.0.0 upgrade is available. But the check for upgrades tells me I'm up to date. So an impotent 6.0.0 is lurking somewhere on my hard drive but can't or won't overwrite 5.5.3.

I'm getting frustrated.

Is it possible to send the whole app to the trash and start over? Where would I get a virgin version of AirPort Utility?

TIA,
    Bob

4. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Have a look in your App folder.
    Airport Utility should be in the 'Utility' subfolder.
    Have you got a copy at the 'Applications' folder level, and another in the 'Utilities' subfolder?
    Spotlight should be able to tell you this.

5. bobnlyne thread starter macrumors member

Bingo. I DO have 6.0.0. in the Utilities folder

Should I drag the 5.5.3 in the Apps folder to the trash, and then drag the 6.0.0 in the Utilities folder into the Apps folder. Or will I cause everything to blow up?

Bob

6. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

I'd just drag 5.5.3 into trash. On my machine at least, 6.0 got installed in the Utility folder. I left it there.
    You might want to back up 5.53 somewhere before trashing. Some people don't like the new (6.0) interface.

7. bobnlyne thread starter macrumors member