Airport w/ Airdisk vs. PMG4 server?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bassism, Oct 13, 2007.

1. bassism macrumors member

I'm trying to minimize the clutter in my apartment. Currently I've got all kinds of wires running across my floor. All my cables for my dsl modem, power, a firewire/usb hard drive (holds music and media), and a cable running to my stereo are all running across the floor. As well, I set up my printer whenever I need it, but don't have it plugged in all the time.
    Currently I have an 802.11b Airport from ages ago, but it's not really fast enough for what I would like to use it for.
    Lastly, I'm trying to get this done without spending a ton of money.

I've come up with two possible solutions.

First, I get an Airport Extreme and plug my hard drive/printer into that. This would leave only my power/stereo wires snaking across the room.

My other idea is to try and pick up an old Powermac for cheap, use that to share my drives and such, and buy an Airport Express. This leaves my MBP able to do everything I want it to do, totally free from wires.

I'm leaning towards the Powermac/APExpress option but am wondering if I'm missing anything important.
    Anybody have any insight as to why one option may be better than the other?

2. vtecyo macrumors newbie

both options sound fine to me.
    but the investment between two are not that close, for instance, the 2nd option would cost you alot more.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You could probably get a cheap old pc for less money than an old powermac, then just install ubuntu server and netatalk.