Airport WEP help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crackcorn, Sep 4, 2010.

1. crackcorn macrumors newbie

Hi I am trying to connect my xbox live to my wireless network. On xbox live when I select my network, it asks for a WEP key. However, on my airport utility it says that my security is WPA. I can't find the option to set my security to WEP on aiport utility. Is there any way to? Thanks for any help!!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't want WEP, as it's not as secure. You should have WPA2.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

agreed with this although if you ever wanna use a ds or dsi with the online gaming features in same games it only works with WEP

4. TJM6 macrumors newbie

AFAIK, WPA2 should be the way to go with most of all your devices. The only time I'd ever used WEP was because an older [likely an 802.11b] device didn't support WPA or WPA2. Now TKIP vs. AES on the encryption side may be another question.

I use my iMac as an access point for my Xbox 360 (Airport's in the living room) so I'm not well versed in the setup of either of the Wi-Fi adapters for the 360, let alone the new 360 250GB with built-in Wi-Fi.

5. crackcorn thread starter macrumors newbie

my xbox is not letting me select wpa for some reason, so I am just trying to figure out if there is a way to set up my network to WEP security so i could hook up.

I don't know where that option is on airport utility, the only options it gives me for security is wpa/wpa2 personal and enterprise

6. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Are you running this as a 802.11g or n network?

7. crackcorn thread starter macrumors newbie

under radio mode where I assume you're talking about (im not sure what you mean) but it has the 802.11 and its set to automatic if that helps?

8. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

IIRC, WEP is too old to work with 802.11n. Set it as 802.11g and see if WEP comes back.

9. mutantteenager macrumors 6502

I've got the ufo Airport Extreme basestation with WPA, and my brother hooked up his Xbox 360 to it no problem. Maybe this is a set up issue with the Xbox??

10. crackcorn thread starter macrumors newbie

i figured out this issue. I had the old wireless adapter for the original xbox which only supports WEP. I had to go out and buy the newer one for the 360 but it works fine now! Thanks!