Airport + Xbox 360 media streaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tonicaek, Aug 14, 2011.

1. tonicaek macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm trying to set up an Airport Extreme base station to stream media from the drive I have connected to it, to the Xbox, to no avail. The AEBS is being used as a booster for the main router, albeit wired as the main router is neither WDS compatible or able to bridge a connection.

I've made sure the AEBS set up to b/g compatible radio modes and that the password is WPA/WPA2, as these settings were suggested in other posts, but I've not been able to access the drive from the Xbox - which begs the question; is this even possible?

The Xbox is connecting to the AEBS, although it gives a warning regarding the slowness of XBL on this connection, despite the fact it actually works fine - not relevant, but I thought it worth mentioning.

In the long run I have every intention of rejigging the setup; using the AEBS as the main router and running a Time Capsule as the booster/harddrive - but I don't want to throw myself into the venture without knowing for sure I can stream media to the Xbox.

I know absolutely nothing when it comes to networking and wirelessness - a nudge in the right direction would be a great help! :confused:

2. tonicaek thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, are there any cheaper options than Time Capsule? I've found a few NAS type routers, but unsure if they'll bridge to be used as a signal booster?

3. tonicaek thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried accessing the network drive from the PS3 to find it also isn't recognising it. :mad: