Airport xray machine

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Elixer, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Elixer macrumors regular

In a few days I will be leaving town to go on a trip. I was wondering if going through the xray machine at the airport will damage my computer or digital rebel xt. I think it is just a myth but I figured I would ask around just incase.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Nope, wont hurt it at all. The only thing that you really have to worry about going through the xray machine is high ISO (> ISO 1600) photo film.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, Xray won't mess with it, I just went on vacation and had no issues with my digital camera and powerbook.

What is extremely annoying though, is you have to put your laptop in a bin of it's own and send it through the xray, so while you're held up at the metal detector, your laptop comes out the other end, unattended for anyone to grab and run off with.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What I do is put the laptop through after my other stuff, so i place it through the machine a second before I walk through the metal detector. Then I am usually able to get to the other side before it comes out the x-ray machine.

5. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Just a thought, I have seen warnings for films with an ISO as low as 800. It may be different from Airport to airport depending on the type of machines they use and just how "dialed up" they have them. It is best to be on the safe side and ask if you are carrying high ISO film.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I do the same and it's never come out before me.

7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Never thought about that whenever mine's gone through, but I guess when it's swarming with guards, it would be difficult for someone to grab and make a run for it. Even if they did, because they are on the wrong side of the security barrier, it's unlikely they would find anywhere to escape or hide that quickly.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

Same here.

That being said, never put your shoes or your bag of <3oz fluids near or on top of the laptop. Dumb TSA person at LAX got all mad at me about that.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Usually i do this:

1st - Bin containing my shoes and jacket
    2nd - Bag(s)
    3rd - Bin containing Laptop

Get through the other side, put my shoes and jacket back on and open my bag up ready to pop my laptop in when it finally comes through the machine.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And I'm sure even ISO 200 is in a bit of danger. X-rays interacting with your film is all probability-based.

Besides, if you ever go near a linear accelerator (at a hospital or cancer centre), and you look at the monitor on the control system outside, you'll see individual pixels light up randomly because the x-rays are hitting the video camera. It looks like noise. :)

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, at STL at least, at the C/D/E gate section, one of the security lines (and the one that with my luck, I always seem to go through) is right by the exit from the gates to the terminal, so it would be really easy to grab it and make a run for it.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

I'd be careful if you have any dirty pictures on your hard drive. They might see them on the x-ray screen.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That bugs me too, but for a different reason. I hate having a ton of bins and my backpack to all juggle, too. :eek:

Thanks, I was gonna say that, too. :p

I just flew this last month through SJC (San Jose Int'l), LAX, and ORD (O' Hare) and I still think SJC is the strictest and slowest. Ugh.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I usually do the same thing when I fly. That way I make sure I am there to get my most valuable travel possession- my Apple laptop. :) :cool: :apple:

15. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ah, the first chuckle of the morning.

Thanks!

Just to keep TSA people on their toes, I always request all my film to be hand inspected. Especially if its already exposed. Call me paranoid.