Airport xray machine

Elixer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
In a few days I will be leaving town to go on a trip. I was wondering if going through the xray machine at the airport will damage my computer or digital rebel xt. I think it is just a myth but I figured I would ask around just incase.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Nope, wont hurt it at all. The only thing that you really have to worry about going through the xray machine is high ISO (> ISO 1600) photo film.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
No, Xray won't mess with it, I just went on vacation and had no issues with my digital camera and powerbook.

What is extremely annoying though, is you have to put your laptop in a bin of it's own and send it through the xray, so while you're held up at the metal detector, your laptop comes out the other end, unattended for anyone to grab and run off with.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
What is extremely annoying though, is you have to put your laptop in a bin of it's own and send it through the xray, so while you're held up at the metal detector, your laptop comes out the other end, unattended for anyone to grab and run off with.
What I do is put the laptop through after my other stuff, so i place it through the machine a second before I walk through the metal detector. Then I am usually able to get to the other side before it comes out the x-ray machine.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Nope, wont hurt it at all. The only thing that you really have to worry about going through the xray machine is high ISO (> ISO 1600) photo film.
Just a thought, I have seen warnings for films with an ISO as low as 800. It may be different from Airport to airport depending on the type of machines they use and just how "dialed up" they have them. It is best to be on the safe side and ask if you are carrying high ISO film.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Never thought about that whenever mine's gone through, but I guess when it's swarming with guards, it would be difficult for someone to grab and make a run for it. Even if they did, because they are on the wrong side of the security barrier, it's unlikely they would find anywhere to escape or hide that quickly.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Usually i do this:

1st - Bin containing my shoes and jacket
2nd - Bag(s)
3rd - Bin containing Laptop

Get through the other side, put my shoes and jacket back on and open my bag up ready to pop my laptop in when it finally comes through the machine.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Just a thought, I have seen warnings for films with an ISO as low as 800. It may be different from Airport to airport depending on the type of machines they use and just how "dialed up" they have them. It is best to be on the safe side and ask if you are carrying high ISO film.
And I'm sure even ISO 200 is in a bit of danger. X-rays interacting with your film is all probability-based.

Besides, if you ever go near a linear accelerator (at a hospital or cancer centre), and you look at the monitor on the control system outside, you'll see individual pixels light up randomly because the x-rays are hitting the video camera. It looks like noise. :)

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Never thought about that whenever mine's gone through, but I guess when it's swarming with guards, it would be difficult for someone to grab and make a run for it. Even if they did, because they are on the wrong side of the security barrier, it's unlikely they would find anywhere to escape or hide that quickly.
Well, at STL at least, at the C/D/E gate section, one of the security lines (and the one that with my luck, I always seem to go through) is right by the exit from the gates to the terminal, so it would be really easy to grab it and make a run for it.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I'd be careful if you have any dirty pictures on your hard drive. They might see them on the x-ray screen.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
What is extremely annoying though, is you have to put your laptop in a bin of it's own and send it through the xray...
That bugs me too, but for a different reason. I hate having a ton of bins and my backpack to all juggle, too. :eek:

Just a thought, I have seen warnings for films with an ISO as low as 800.
Thanks, I was gonna say that, too. :p

I just flew this last month through SJC (San Jose Int'l), LAX, and ORD (O' Hare) and I still think SJC is the strictest and slowest. Ugh.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Usually i do this:

1st - Bin containing my shoes and jacket
2nd - Bag(s)
3rd - Bin containing Laptop

Get through the other side, put my shoes and jacket back on and open my bag up ready to pop my laptop in when it finally comes through the machine.
I usually do the same thing when I fly. That way I make sure I am there to get my most valuable travel possession- my Apple laptop. :) :cool: :apple:

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I'd be careful if you have any dirty pictures on your hard drive. They might see them on the x-ray screen.
Ah, the first chuckle of the morning.

Thanks!

Just to keep TSA people on their toes, I always request all my film to be hand inspected. Especially if its already exposed. Call me paranoid.