Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amnichols10

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
When trying to connect to my airport xtreme (time capsule) using my MacBook Pro and it's unable to connect because of a "connection timeout."

What I've tried to do:
-I tried all the security settings for the wireless settings (WEP/WPA and no security) and it still doesn't connect.

-relocated the time capsule to a remote location where it is away from any other electronic equipment (phones, tv, DSL, etc.)

-Read posts in different forums explaining different steps. One of those steps being to shut down the cpu, unplug the time capsule, and unplugged the modem in that order. Waited 5 minutes then plugged in the modem, time capsule, turn on the computer and go through the process. That also didn't work.

-Tried reseting the time capsule and going from scratch with no luck as well.

It's not that it doesn't work at all, because once every blue moon it would connect but it doesn't last long at all.

Don't know what to do. Any suggestions.

puppetlad

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2010
god, i got belkin, with a netgear router, my connection times out just about every 10 or 20 minutes, even worse the router is upstairs.. atleast it keeps me fit lol...

this may not be the answer, but have you try turning it off the on again..

it sounds stupid but it works every time with me, not that im happy about it, telstra sucks but it works atleast...

phstith

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2009
When trying to connect to my airport xtreme (time capsule) using my MacBook Pro and it's unable to connect because of a "connection timeout."

What I've tried to do:
-I tried all the security settings for the wireless settings (WEP/WPA and no security) and it still doesn't connect.

-relocated the time capsule to a remote location where it is away from any other electronic equipment (phones, tv, DSL, etc.)

-Read posts in different forums explaining different steps. One of those steps being to shut down the cpu, unplug the time capsule, and unplugged the modem in that order. Waited 5 minutes then plugged in the modem, time capsule, turn on the computer and go through the process. That also didn't work.

-Tried reseting the time capsule and going from scratch with no luck as well.

It's not that it doesn't work at all, because once every blue moon it would connect but it doesn't last long at all.

Don't know what to do. Any suggestions.

I have a similar problem...
500G TC set up with a DSL Cable modem and T-Moblie Hot Spot router.
Backed up my mini wirelessly last month, but now I cannot connect. Everything is flawless if I connect via ethernet. Most of the time my mini and my Macbook can see the TC, but can never connect.

Any help out there?

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I used to get this all the time. I locked my Extreme to two discrete channels - b/g and n.

By making sure I never connect to n I don't seem to get any problems anymore. Not sure if it's THE answer, but it's worked for me (for now).

In my opinion, wireless networking is Apple's biggest problem - getting my MBP, Extreme and Apple TV to stay connected to the network for more than a couple of days in pretty much impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.