Airport Xtreme & multiple hard drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tkilian, Oct 19, 2007.

1. tkilian macrumors member

I have a new Airport Xtreme connected to a powered USB hub with 3 powered external HDD drives attached.

Recently after a reboot of my computer, I have been unable to connect to 2 of the 3 disks. One disk always mounts, the other two will not. Even if I try and manually connect, the disk is not found.

I connected the hub directly to a computer, and all 3 drives mounted. I have moved around the USB cables on the hub to make sure it wasn't a problem with the ports, and every time the same drive mounts.

It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

In the Airport set up utility, you just specify a base station to share the disks from, and not the individual disks.

I'm tempted to just reset the base station, and start over again.

Any experieinces with similar problems?

2. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

Oh man... you're going to have fun. Three?! Most people have issues with 1.

It seems to me that there is an unmounting/ejecting issue. Go into your terminal and cd to your Volumes and ls.

Are there multiple instances of your network drives showing up there that aren't showing up in Finder?

If so... join the club. The only way I've found to fix this is to manually rm -r each multiple instance of network drives, connect each drive directly to your computer, eject it, put it back on the AEBS, restart the AEBS and your modem.

That works for me... pain in the neck... and get used to it, until there's a fix for this... it's going to happen to you all the time.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

4. tkilian thread starter macrumors member

ugh

ls shows only my local drives mounted.

i connect to the one network drive fine, and it mounts on the desktop, and shows up in Volumes.

For the other 2 drives, I get the error "Mount Failed" "Could not mount the drive Video".

But now when I do an LS on the Volumes directory, the drive Volleyball does appear.

If i try an mount again, i do get additional instances of the same drive.

Using rm -r works for the first instance of the drive, but hangs up on the second instance.

IO guess i was lucky that I had it running in the first place.