Airport Xtreme/Xpress. And WiFi setup (noob question)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mobius 1, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

Shold i but the xtreme or the xpress?

I only will use for download and flie sharing [very rare]

-I want the network to be hidden (so ppl can only find it by mannualy entreing the name and pssword.)
    -I want it to work on windows too
    -Hard to be hacked
    -transmits w/o lag
    -password easily changeable

or it's ok with normal routers?

Ethernet btw

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

All those things are possible with your everyday router. I prefer Linksys myself. Here is a link to the one that I have. :) Note that the "newer version" that Amazon is mentioning is actually somewhat of a downgrade because the wired ports are only 10/100, not 10/100/1000.

The only thing that might come up with using this is the file sharing that you mentioned. With the Apple routers, you can plug a USB hard drive directly into the router and use it as a network drive. With the Linksys though, you can setup file sharing between the computers directly to accomplish the same thing.

3. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Sorry, how to setup what..the router or the file sharing?

File sharing, open Preferences, then Sharing. There is a checkbox called File Sharing. Then select the details/locations that you want to share.

Router, you'll plug it all in then go to http://192.168.1.1, and login with the details in your user manual. (Can't remember the original details). Then a web-based interface will guide you through setup.

5. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

will it support 2MB/s internet from ethernet cable?

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Easy. Between my NAS and iMac I get 60MB/s read and 30MB/s write, but the write difference is NAS overhead, not the router.