Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Can anyone tell me about airport?

Is there a annual charge?
If you have airport, do you like it?
Etc.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Jen :)

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Well, Airport is just Apple's name for 802.11b. Airport Express is what Apple calls 802.11g. Its really just a wireless connection to your existing internet connection, so once you buy the hardware to set up that connection, you just have to keep paying for your regular ISP.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
crazzyeddie said:
Well, Airport is just Apple's name for 802.11b. Airport Express is what Apple calls 802.11g. Its really just a wireless connection to your existing internet connection, so once you buy the hardware to set up that connection, you just have to keep paying for your regular ISP.

Get the 802.11g. :)

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Phat_Pat said:
Airport Express is also a G. Just doesnt have any physical ports to plug your mac into. :)
Airport and Airport Extreme are wireless networking technologies. Airport Express is a hardware product. I didn't want the original comment I replied to to mislead the original poster.

jlewis2k1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2005
in your closet
the Aiport Extreme is really nice ... I have it for our network. I dont like to string wires all over the place. I have absolutely no complaints about the Airport. I would say if you chose to get an Airport I would recommend getting either Airport Extreme (50 users max) or Airport Express (10 users max).

Correct me if im wrong.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Phat_Pat said:
Airport Express is also a G. Just doesnt have any physical ports to plug your mac into. :)
Hmmm... tell that to my old iMac which is now plugged into my AirPort Express via ethernet cable, using it as a bridge. ;)

Oh, and just to be clear (well, I think it was clear already, but just in case): there is no charge whatsoever for using a wireless network device - as long as its connecting to your own network. In that case, it's just replacing ethernet cabling with radio-based connections.

If, say, you go to Starbucks, you can pay for using their wireless network, which you access via your AirPort card. Many places offer wireless access for free, and some places charge for it. Rates vary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.