AirPort

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by rian malan, Feb 7, 2015.

1. rian malan macrumors newbie

Sorry to be a moron but I was born that way. Where do I find Account Preferencs on a Mac Mini so I can uncheck the "use SSL" box and connect to my ADSL modem? Rian, Johannesburg

2. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Is This For Security Reasons?

Why? Is that part of the installation process? Which modem are you using?

3. rian malan thread starter macrumors newbie

Moron

Gents -- thanks for stepping up. I have an ADSL line and a D-link modem. System works fine using Microsoft-driven notebook, but my beloved Apple Mac Mini connects only briefly, and then to an entity that calls itself 10.0.0.4, whereas the D-link's address is 10.0.0.2. Sometimes the connection last seconds, sometimes a minute or two, and then, slash, I am cut off.

Connection Doctor says, "check Network Connection to make sure you entered correct information into Account Preferences."

It also says, "verify that your ISP supports SSL. If not, uncheck the "use SSL" box in Advanced tab of Account Preferences."

But I can't find Account Preferences on the Mac Mini -- just System Preferences." This is a gateway to Network Preferences, but no SSL box or Account Preferences visible there.

Is Account Preferences perhaps on the modem?

4. Celerondon, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

The System Works Fine With A Notebook Computer

Okay rian malan, lets back up a little.
    1. Your title for the original post was “Air Port”. Should I understand from that name that you are using a WiFi connection to your router rather than Ethernet?
    2. Which version of OS X are you using?
    3. What router are you using for your network? Is it a combination unit or do you have modem and a separate router?
    4. Which browser(s) do you use? Have you tried only Safari or do you also have others like Firefox and Chrome available.
    5. Your Internet connection is fine for your Windows notebook (through Wifi?), but not to the Mac. Can you connect your Mac directly to the modem output with a Cat5 cable? (probably not possible if the modem and router are combined)

Connection Doctor is an email diagnostics tool. Your problem appears to be more fundamental than the email system. Have you restarted each part of the system yet? Mac/modem/router(if separate)