airport?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by deldakota, Mar 15, 2008.

1. deldakota macrumors newbie

hello, new to mac... next to my clock, and speaker icon at top right of screen, there is a icon for airport? what is it and do i need it off or on? does it have anything to do with internet? just this imac on now, but am thinking of adding a pc with xp soon...im using verizon dsl for internet. someone told me if i had that airport on, i wouldnt need a router? i dont know about that. thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

On a Mac, Airport is the word used to describe wireless internet (i.e. 802.11a/b/g/n).

If you wish to use your mac's built-in wireless networking, you can activate (or deactivate) it from that icon, or select the wireless network in which you wish to connect.

There are ways to share an internet connection through wireless networking, but if you're getting a PC it would be easiest just to get a router.

3. deldakota thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks, so im understanding this right? it is possible to get my kids pc upstairs internet access of my imac by using the built in airport? thanks again

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, if your PC upstairs has a wireless internet card (either built in or external).

You can share your Mac's internet connection by going to System Preferences > Sharing, and select "Internet sharing." It sounds like you'd want to choose "Share your connection from: Ethernet" "To Computers using: Airport."

5. deldakota thread starter macrumors newbie