Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
For anyone with an airport express, is this possible?

I already have a stable wireless network. I would like to ADD an airport express to my network (some kind of repeater mode?) and hook a printer to it so I can print from my iPad. Is airport express configurable to do this?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
iPad doesn't print until 4.2 comes out. Whether or not printing works with Airport Express under 4.2? I guess we'll find out!

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Understood. But still looking for an airport express owner to tell me if it is configurable as a "repeater" to interoperate with another wireless router.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Understood. But still looking for an airport express owner to tell me if it is configurable as a "repeater" to interoperate with another wireless router.

I don't own one but you could just use your older wireless router as a wireless bridge (using DD-WRT) and the airport express as the main one.
Here is a list of routers that work w/ DD-WRT:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#TRENDnet

EDIT: this is full wireless, if you have cables already passing where the 2 is going to be connected is easier and in most routers is easy to configure it w/ a cable connection....

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Apple calls it "Extending" the wireless network

Yes, the AirPort Express can "Extend" an existing wireless network, as can the Extreme and the TimeCapsule.

I've done this with all of the above servicing the same wireless network. In my setup the AirPort Extreme is configured normally as a wireless router, and the Time Capsule and Express both extend the network. This is all brain-dead easy to set up in the AirPort Utility.

I have no idea if the Express can extend a Wireless network that originates on a non Apple device (Linksys/NetGear/etc), but I have no reason to think it couldn't.

steve2237

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
I can confirm that an airport express can extend a network regardless if the network originates from an apple router or not. I used to have an airport express set up to play airtunes, and provide internet to my xbox360, and it was extending a network from a linksys router.

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Thanks guys, just what I wanted to hear. Now I just need to hope that iPad printing will allow a USB connected printer to an airport express connected as the post above this describes! :rolleyes:

Scorpio12345

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
I'm actually really interested to know this guys, before picking my iPad up this weekend..

Does it not work with the PrintCentral app with an airport express connected via USB to a printer WITHOUT the need of another pc/mac?

Thanks guys!

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
For anyone with an airport express, is this possible?

I already have a stable wireless network. I would like to ADD an airport express to my network (some kind of repeater mode?) and hook a printer to it so I can print from my iPad. Is airport express configurable to do this?

I print from my iPad and iPod touch using both a networked wireless printer and a USB printer hooked to an airport express. If the app already supports printing, and some do, should be no problem, also i imagine some of the printing apps in the app store would let you print from other apps also.

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah, but I'm not so sure can do if the Airport Express that the printer is hooked into (via USB) is in Bridge Mode on another (non Apple) wireless network. Others have verified that you CAN bridge an Airport Express even on a non Apple wireless network, but I've yet hear anyone say that iPad apps can still see a printer that is hooked up to an Airport Express configured that way.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Yeah, but I'm not so sure can do if the Airport Express that the printer is hooked into (via USB) is in Bridge Mode on another (non Apple) wireless network. Others have verified that you CAN bridge an Airport Express even on a non Apple wireless network, but I've yet hear anyone say that iPad apps can still see a printer that is hooked up to an Airport Express configured that way.

I said it

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Pomeroy, your Airport Express is in bridge mode and bridged to a non-Apple router? Just to be clear, that's the scenario I'm asking about.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Thanks guys, just what I wanted to hear. Now I just need to hope that iPad printing will allow a USB connected printer to an airport express connected as the post above this describes! :rolleyes:

I've attempted this a long time ago with my airport express however it did not work for me cause my printer wasn't compatible.

Make sure your printer will work with not only airport express, but also have the appropriate drivers and whatnot under your max os x system.

I've never been able to print wirelessly through airport express, however I have used AirTunes numerous times through airport express and works great.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
My airport express is in the kitchen with a cheap HP USB printer plugged into it, it did have speakers plugged into at one time, my Linksys router is across the house in a bedroom closet. I can print to that printer or any other printer in the house from my iPod touch or iPad. Not many apps will let you print from within them, but you can download a regular printing app to print from other apps.

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007

Just wanted to let you know, I've confirmed that the iPad can print to a printer connected to an Airport Express through USB. Here is what I did really (it's simple):

Install Mac OS 10.6.5 on my Mac --> Go to System Preferences under "Print & Fax" and choose "Share this printer on the network". Find a webpage under Safari and attempt to print and select your printer under "Printer". It works flawlessly.

Keep in mind, if you don't "Share this printer on the network" in System Preferences, the iPad will not be able to find the printer. The iPad cannot find the printer if it's just connected to the Airport Extreme, so really you need an Airport Extreme, Mac OS 10.6.5 and an iPad to get this to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.