AirportExpress Access Control

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sMiK, Jun 1, 2009.

1. sMiK macrumors regular

sMiK

Hello, I'm trying to do some sort of access control on my wi-fi with airport express, but I think that for that I will need a server probably, as it may not be possible to do it with just a router. But anyway. I'm going to have a new house share mate who is going to use my internet connection. And what I want to do is basically limit his internet usage, as I've got virgin connection and it has it's own limitations which I don't want to get into because of him using too much bandwidth or speed. So is there any way to limit the amount of data he can download or limit his speed? It's possible to control when he can use the internet and so on but is it possible to limit these things?

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

At first I thought you meant controlling which devices surf the internet. That would be MAC Address access control - you can do this with an Airport.

I believe what you would like to do, though, is put a bandwidth cap on your roommate. Right? This is not possible with an Airport router.

3. sMiK thread starter macrumors regular

sMiK

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you would need a different router

try looking at the linksys wrt54gL.

you can load a linux based firmware such as dd-wrt or tomato on to it, and will let you do what you want.

both firmwares will work with other versions of router, but with the "L" version it's designed for it and has a bit of extra memory and such.