AirportExpress Security Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VelvetElegance, Jul 12, 2007.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

Hey..I just realized my network connection is open to my entire block. How can I lock it down so that a password is needed to logon. So far I've tried:

System Preferences --> Network --> Configure --> Network Name --> Edit --> Wireless Security Drop Down --> WEP Password

I was thinking that any other computer would be prompted for this password, but I just noticed my iPhone automatically logged onto the network without being prompted for the password. What am I doing wrong?

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

you need to configure the wireless server (e.g. Airport Extreme, router, whatever) with the security settings, not the client (although obviously that will need to be configured too, to match). What are you using to provide wireless access? If it's Airport you can configure it with the Apps > Utilities > Airport Utility. Most others you access through a browser to configure them.

WPA is better than WEP if it's available as an option (and the passwords are easier), but also it's a good idea to switch off SSID Broadcast so that your network doesn't even show up as being available (you have to choose "other" and type in the SSID network name in order to join it, and then it asks for the password if you have encryption set).

You can also disable access to the Mac itself, even for those who have got onto your network by turning off sharing (personal and windows) in the Sharing prefs.

3. rcarricato macrumors newbie

rcarricato

your looking in the wrong place

the wireless signal is being broadcast by your wireless router right?

So you would need to log into your router and set up the security

If its a airport router use the Airport Utility in the Utilities folder

if its any other router log into the router using the ip address in safari and setup WPA (better than WEP)

4. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. I am trying to do what you guys suggest. I am on the right page now in Airport Admin utilities. What does Group Key Timeout mean?

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

some (old) guff here on it. not something I've ever touched.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd leave it alone... for reference, here are my settings, which work very well for me. :)

[​IMG]

7. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome..You guys have really helped a lot. I didn't bother with the Group Key Timeout thing.. So just to clarify, I won't need the password to sign on everytime I restart my machine, right? Just when I use a different one, and I'll need to reconfigure my TiVo with the new security settings..

8. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

as long as you check the box to remember the password in your keychain the first time it connects, you should be fine. There's also an option in the Network Prefs for it to automatically join "preferred networks", and to add new networks that you successfully join to the preferred list, which i find handy