Airpot Express in Bridge Mode

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by prnoct90, Oct 8, 2009.

1. prnoct90 macrumors regular

I am trying to set up a Airport Express in my dorm room. The dorm people gave me an IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Router Address. When I set up the Airport Express I enter this info and connect via "Share public IP Address", it connects and I get a green light, but when I connect my laptop never works with the internet. It can connect to the base station, but no web pages load. So, I tried switching it to Bridge Mode, and my laptop connected and the internet worked.

But, when I try to connect any other device (friends computers, my iphone, my nintendo dsi) they all either refuse to connect entirely (nintendo dsi), or when they do connect (iphone, friends computers), they do the same thing my laptop did in the other mode (connect but not load web pages). So what am I doing wrong?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It seems your dorm isn't doing DHCP and is only distributing 1 IP address which can only be used by 1 device. To get DHCP connect your dorm ethernet to the WAN port (first port NOT the generic set ethernet ports) on the back of your AEBS

Then make sure your settings are as thus, save settings and things should work. If not consult the dorm's IT admin

Attached Files:

3. prnoct90 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure if I can do that. I pretty much just have an ethernet jack in my room and no access to anything else.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yes you can. Connect an ethernet cable from said jack to the WAN port

Attached Files:

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Read carefully..he's got an Airport EXPRESS, not and extreme. Thus no WAN port.

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Well there you go...i was reading this late at night and must've missed it. Still though, the principles should be the same. Connect from the jack in your room to the jack on the express and use DHCP on the express