AirPower exclusive to Series 3?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by LordQ, Sep 14, 2017.

1. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I am wondering if the AirPower mat is exclusive to the Series 3 or the other models can use it as well. On the Apple website it says "requires compatible Apple Watch" and Phil said on the keynote that you can place your Series 3 watch. Why would the S2 not be compatible with this?

Any insight is appreciated!

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Yes, I believe they’ve done something to make it accept the QI standard that the AirPower uses.

3. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Must have changed the way it's charging to be compatible with standard but it's really strange they didn't plan about this in advance.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I believe the older watches used a different software stack for their QI charging. Their own watch charger can charge other QI compatible devices. If the hardware is compatible, it's possible that the old models could be made compatible as well...not saying they'll do that of course.

5. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I just set my S0 on my Mophie charging pad and I couldn't get my watch to say Charging, so I presume it's the Qi referenced above.

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

If I recall correctly, Apple used its own proprietary wireless charging solution for the first few iterations of the Apple Watch. That's why you can't go buy a Qi wireless charging mat and place your S0, S1, or S2 Apple Watch on it and have it charge. However, I believe the AirPower mat uses Qi wireless charging and other Apple magic making it compatible only with the Qi supported devices.

In theory, this should mean that any Qi wireless charging mat can charge the S3 Apple Watch.