Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Hate to be a Negative Nancy, but is anyone really going to buy it at that point?
I feel like everyone in the need has already saturated their wireless charger collection.
Well if that were true, the dozens/hundreds of wireless charger manufacturers would all discontinue their current products.

On the contrary, more and more are continually being developed and released. Apple’s AirPower will (reportedly) be one of these, with unique capabilities no other charging mat offers.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Considering all the engineering delays, I don’t think I would want a first gen of this device. I waited until the Apple Watch Series 3 before I got my first. This one I will have to wait and see for about 6 months first.

Reactions: jpn

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Well if that were true, the dozens/hundreds of wireless charger manufacturers would all discontinue their current products.

On the contrary, more and more are continually being developed and released. Apple’s AirPower will (reportedly) be one of these, with unique capabilities no other charging mat offers.
These are very valid points! I just am frustrated at how late to the party they are, I guess. I have personally already bought enough wireless chargers, as I didn't want to wait an undisclosed amount of time for this to come out.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Apple said that will jump over first gen and go with the second one in August 2019
It will come in black or white options , it will have option to slide flat or charge in stand mode, it can charge up to 2 products in the same time up to 18W

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I will get one for the simple fact of being able to charge my iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and AirPods at the same time.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
this news is interesting.
so, in production, but maybe not enough units per day can be made right now.
constrained for some reason.

hmm...either a
1 a supply chain issue: some kind of component supply for a critical, single-sourced component (?)
2 a quality issue: not enough of quality parts for some component that is integral to safety. (?)

if the reason for this long delay turns out to be a quality restrained component, given apple's past 2 to 3 year record for erring on the side of going ahead and quality passing components that are near the lower allowed end of tolerance, this product is likely to have end-user consumer level defects.

no matter how long apple is taking to get this product right, whatever it is will be causing problems for a long time.

"Erring on the side of going ahead" :D

The new "Think Different".

Reactions: jpn

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
even the macrumors folks giving this a yawn...that tells you something

Yeah it tells you that once again, these forums don’t represent real life. How do you guys not realize that Apple sells REGARDLESS. This thing could ship next year and will still sell.

Apple’s following and ecosystem are huge. It will sell.

Reactions: tooloud10

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
These are very valid points! I just am frustrated at how late to the party they are, I guess. I have personally already bought enough wireless chargers, as I didn't want to wait an undisclosed amount of time for this to come out.

Well, than you should perfectly match the preferred target group - yet another additional charger which allegedly will have a unique selling point in terms of technology, right?

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Hate to be a Negative Nancy, but is anyone really going to buy it at that point?
I feel like everyone in the need has already saturated their wireless charger collection.

Was anyone even going to buy an iPod? Everyone in need had already saturated their MP3 player collection.

It’s pretty clear that there’s nothing like AirPower on the market today and given Apple’s difficulties in getting it to work tells me that it’ll be a while before anybody else releases a wireless power charger that can charge multiple devices at once without any accurate placement. Just drop your devices randomly on the mat and charge them all.

AirPower is the beginning of a roadmap. We’re at the very beginning of the beginning of wireless charging. Nobody is late to the game.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Considering all the engineering delays, I don’t think I would want a first gen of this device. I waited until the Apple Watch Series 3 before I got my first. This one I will have to wait and see for about 6 months first.

absolutely agree.
i would be very cautious to be among the 1st to buy this.
[doublepost=1548142029][/doublepost]
"Erring on the side of going ahead" :D

The new "Think Different".

you may be, unfortunately, correct about this.
[doublepost=1548142438][/doublepost]
Why does everyone on this forum keep saying this is the same thing as other wireless chargers? Is a Mercedes Benz the same as a Kia? No. The AirPower will function unlike any other wireless charger on the market.

this is so true.

i am sure this product was (and has obviously continued to be) extremely difficult from an engineering standpoint.

the software controllers in this Air Power could only work correctly and safely as long as the chips inside the products to be charged (Air Pods, iPhone, Watch), and the internal physical components and controller software inside the Air Power can continuously detect and monitor accurately power levels of multiple devices simultaneously while in contact with any of the multiple charging places within the Air Power. the Air Power and the devices need to be in a high state of communication about power levels, and where on the device they are laying.

this is unlike any Qi device so far.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Was anyone even going to buy an iPod? Everyone in need had already saturated their MP3 player collection.

It’s pretty clear that there’s nothing like AirPower on the market today and given Apple’s difficulties in getting it to work tells me that it’ll be a while before anybody else releases a wireless power charger that can charge multiple devices at once without any accurate placement. Just drop your devices randomly on the mat and charge them all.

AirPower is the beginning of a roadmap. We’re at the very beginning of the beginning of wireless charging. Nobody is late to the game.

This, Apple are doing something different and i for one welcome it. Being able to drop my iPhone X, Apple Watch and AirPods on the Airpower mat and have them charge no matter where on the mat they are placed is SUPER convenient. If it's taken Apple a while to work out some problems and kinks then that's fine with me.

Mad4WDW

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
So you drop your Apple Watch onto this expensive charger and nightstand mode doesn’t work. Great job lol

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
It’s capable of charging multiple devices at once and where you place it on the pad is irrelevant. I don’t think any wireless charging pad is capable of one of these things let alone both. Also it’s the only way to wireless charge Apple Watch and I suspect the same will go for AirPods.

If/when it finally ships as a product and fulfills those promises, I look forward to the teardowns to see how they've engineered it. That also might provide some insight into why it's been delayed.

The wireless chargers often cited by the "But I can get one on Amazon for $20!" crowd are relatively simple, which is reflected in the price (and for many, the build quality).

and 4096 others like this

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2018
Ikea have wireless charger for 3 devices for $60. Ok - you have to put your device right on (or at least near) "+" symbol. But is it really so inconvenient? Ikea charger can charge 3 devices, cost must less than AirPower would be (no doubt about that) and you have two color option of it. As far as I know, Air Power will be better only in one area - you can put device anywhere on the AirPower. Not sure if it's worth more money or waiting...

0326720_PE519777_S5.JPG

Reactions: netdudeuk

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Maybe not at first, but I will eventually upgrade my Apple Watch and Airpods. That will make me a ripe customer for AirPower.
[doublepost=1548145682][/doublepost]
So you drop your Apple Watch onto this expensive charger and nightstand mode doesn’t work. Great job lol
Don’t use nightstand mode either way.

DempaX

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Sweden
Apple said that will jump over first gen and go with the second one in August 2019
It will come in black or white options , it will have option to slide flat or charge in stand mode, it can charge up to 2 products in the same time up to 18W

Yep, this is exactly what they should do if they want a chance to actually make it succesful product! For $99... only wishful thinking though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.