AirPrint Alt.?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dark Dragon, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Dark Dragon macrumors member

We will soon buy a mono Laserjet printer[Brother], it can "ONLY" Connect to devices using USB, when we buy it, can i connect it to my iPod touch Thru USB?, if not is there anyway to connect it to the iPod touch? P.S. the printer dosent have AirPlay.

Thanks in Advance

Best Regards,
    Dark Dragon

2. Dark Dragon thread starter macrumors member

Can You [\PLEASE] Tell me why "no"? :),P.S. you dont really sound so serious :0

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You can't connect it through usb directly to the iPod.

If you have it connected to a computer or in a network then you might be able to print wirelessly to it if you have the appropriate setup and app.

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Brother has some newer printers that are compatible with AirPrint. I think there is an official Brother app for printing on iOS devices as well. Not sure if the model that you're looking at is compatible.

As for connecting via USB, it won't work. Don't even bother.

Another alternative would be to share the printer over the network using a computer. The printer would connect to your Mac/PC via USB (or perhaps wifi or ethernet). The Mac/PC would run an AirPrint sharing, such as AirPrint Activator (for Mac) ... not sure what the best app is on the Windows side.

The upside is that AirPrint works great this way. The downside is that your computer has to be left on and connected to the printer.

ADDED - why not just buy an HP printer and get AirPrint built-in? They have plenty of compatible printers ranging in both their ink-jet and laser printer lines.

5. Dark Dragon thread starter macrumors member

Will look into that, and the printer I want is A Laser Printer (and not ink :D) I have a Linux Computer :0, so i must search for an AirPrint enabling software for it, we will buy the printer from Xtra in Saudi Arabia :), thanks and will try your suggestions :D

6. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

If you haven't purchased it yet, why don't you just buy one that's compatible?

7. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Can't you use an AirPort Express base Station to connect it and make it AirPrintable?

8. alfistas macrumors regular

alfistas

Yes there is Print Sharing from Avatron.

Have a look: http://avatron.com/apps/print-sharing

9. Vizin, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

11. Dark Dragon thread starter macrumors member

i want to buy the cheapest Laser Printer available and the mono laserjet {brother} is the cheapest i found on the SA Xtra, and the Computer i use is Linux Ubuntu, and it a Computer not a laptop, so i think i cant use the AirPrint Enabling services? :/

1- because it is linux ubuntu and not windows or mac
    2- becuase it is a computer, no bluetooth or wireless sharing things