AirPrint and supported printers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Richard8655, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Hi all- I'm confused, any information appreciated.

Will the new AirPrint in the upcoming iPad IOS 4.2 support all network connected printers? If some are excluded, does anyone know which those are?

Also, is it correct that some HP printers won't even need to be network connected to print via AirPlay?

Thanks much!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Aren't there enough threads on this? Try searching using MRoogle (Google it), not the search thing in the top right.

3. Richard8655 thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't think it was that painful to ask, even if possibly answered previously. Just skip over if it bothers you.

4. shandyman Suspended

our 5 year old brother printer works fine over the network as does the 6 year old epson colour printer

5. Richard8655 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks much! Mine's a Brother also - HL-1440, and sounds like it should work. I'm assuming you're running the beta version of 4.2.

6. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I haven't done any detailed "packet sniffing" to see what's going on... But it appears that any printer my iMac can print to, the iPad can use. I think the iPad might be sending some kind of non-printer specific meta-printjob to the computer which formats it for your specific printer.

There are some newer printers from HP that the iPad can print to directly (without going through a computer).

7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Is anyone printing to their printer without installing the 10.6.5 beta? I have 4.2 and iTunes 10.1b installed and it will not find my printer. In a few other threads it was reported that 10.6.5b must be installed as well.

8. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I'm in the same position as you. Quite why AirPrint can't manage what wireless printing apps on the App Store have for ages is beyond me.

9. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Unless there is some trick, you need the OS X 10.6.5 beta. It's in the release notes. I'm not sure what the case is for Windows users right now. (Maybe iTunes beta is all they need?)

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Appears so. Oh well. I am impressed with the new 4.2. It behaves the way an upgrade should. It just works. Adds new features, does nothing crazy. Just predictable.

11. afd macrumors 6502a

Good reply.