AirPrint and Windows Home Server, without iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MaxBurn, Nov 25, 2010.

1. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

New to the forum and I didn't really see an appropriate place to put this so if it should be somewhere else please move it. Also posted this elsewhere and the only feedback I got so far is apparently this works in Vail too.

Works great for me. This is the bare minimum you need to get AirPrint working on a Windows Home Server. Assumes you have your ios 4.2.1 device on the same network as your Windows Home Server. Why use WHS? Because it should be running and available all the time. Your favorite computer you use iTunes on may not always be on or connected.

1. RDP into your homeserver, use the administrator account.

2. Install drivers for your printer, share it and make it your default printer (not covered here, same as any other windows computer). If you have the option I would strongly suggest you chose a driver only install, you don't need a full suite of MFP scanner or print center garbage.

3. Download iTunes x86 version, do NOT install it.

4. Extract the file "Bonjour.msi" from the iTunes installer with 7zip or your zip program of choice.

5. Run Bonjour.msi to install Bonjour. When complete check your system service for "Bonjour Service", it should be running with automatic startup.

6. Download AirPrint system service: http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=260018&d=1289596059

7. Extract the three files to "C:\Program Files\AirPrint\" (you will have to create that folder).

8. Run "C:\Program Files\AirPrint\airprint.exe" you should see a firewall warning that you need to approve so AirPrint can access your network. Once you have approved the firewall warning you can close the DOS box.

9. Run these two commands from the command prompt, just start run cmd to open command prompt. Once done if you want to check you should have an AirPrint system service now that is set to auto startup and presently running.

10. In your ios 4.2.1 device select print (do it from email to test), in the printer options you need to search for a printer, it should find your printer with the shared name you selected in step 2. It will have a little lock symbol next to it.

11. ios will ask for a user and password, use "administrator" and whatever password you set up on your homeserver for that account.

12. In theory your printer should be printing something now. I won't be much help in troubleshooting because it worked first try for me but post away and we will see what we can do.

Credits:
    Originally spotted this on tipb but copying the command line text from that page didn't work for me because their text is formatted and uses the wrong quotes.
    http://www.tipb.com/2010/11/23/ninja-tip-reenable-network-airprint-windows/

This guy for the airprint portion, if you are having trouble try watching the vid, really good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GlHQHB-74U

I guess this is where it all came from, Enabled AirPrint in iOS 4.2/iTunes 10.1/Shared Printers/Windows 7 post from Nov 12.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1047779

iTunes without bloatware article.
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-unofficial-guide-to-installing-itunes-10-without-bloatware/2390

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I'm ging to give this a shot, thanks. One thing though, hp 495 already runs bonjour, it could cause problems to upgrade. Thanks for the detailed write up!

3. DominikHoffmann macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

MaxBurn, any reason you're not using the stand-alone Bonjour installer at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999? If that works, too, it would be great, because I have a friend whom I wouldn't want to put through a procedure more involved than necessary.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I was wondering that, too. Plus, now there's a installer for AirPrint for Windows. So the steps can be simplified to:

1. Download and install stand-alone Bonjour.
    2. Google "AirPrint installer for Windows" and download a copy.
    3. Run the exe file you downloaded. (Might need to run as Admin)
    4. Check your Firewall settings to make sure AirPrint is allowed through the Firewall.

That should be it. Unfortunately, all my computers have iTunes installed so I can't confirm that step 1 works. Can someone try and report back?

5. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Why don't you compare the two installer files for bonjour? They could be the same, I wasn't aware there was a stand alone installer you could get. I'm just not a Mac person.

Also at the time I did this I don't think there was a AirPrint installer for Windows, for that part I was following the early hacks that came out after the public was made aware that the feature wasn't in the released iTunes.

As we go foreword things will likely get even easier as someone somewhere will likely put together a native WHS installer package that you just drop in the home server apps directory and install it using the native WHS UI.

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Resurrecting a dead thread. I can see the printer (with lock) but it never connects. AirPrint dies work in my windows 7 box.

2170w wifi shared. I'm trying to enable guest print permissions now, however the share was set to allow everyone to print.

7. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Does it ask for a password?

Im betting you are running into a firewall issue maybe.

8. dukeland macrumors newbie

Works great for me too on my iPAD2. Just ensure syntax is typed correctly in the command lines.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

10. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Look at it this way, you sucessfully narrowed it down and eleminated all the stuff above as being the problem.

11. h00ligan macrumors 68030

True, I just have no idea why. I'm going to try vnc instead of rdp..I think it may be virtualizing the proper permissions or something (even though I've set them manually).

12. theace26 macrumors newbie

Work on iOS 5.1.1?

Resurrecting a dead thread,

does anyone know if there is a fix or a series of steps to make this work using iOS 5.1.1?

I have followed the steps, and i cannot seem to get it to work. Any help is appreicated, thanks!

13. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Mine continues to work with 5.1.1.

Edit: now that I think about it I believe there is an update patch for 5. Should be posted another thread somewhere.