AirPrint Color Laser Printer Suggestions Needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mattcauthon, Apr 4, 2013.

1. mattcauthon, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

mattcauthon macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am currently looking for a new printer. I would like to switch from an inkjet to a laser printer. Some of the features im looking for are:
    - reasonable price - i am not looking to spend 1000 dollars here :)
    - automatic duplex
    - AirPrint support
    - Wireless printing support (to print from my PC's and Mac Computers without having to use cables or anything else). I also want it to be wireless so i can store it in a separate room other than where my computers are kept -- a centralized location.
    - must be colour

Those are the basics that im looking for. If anyone has any experience with a printer that would fit my description please lend a hand. it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The new Brother HL-3170CDW does pretty much everything you want, and it doesn't break the bank either.
    [​IMG]

However, you might want to consider the Epson WorkForce WF-3540. First of all, it's an All-In-One with an automatic feed for the scanner/copier/fax, secondly the initial investment is 1/2 that of the Brother, and lastly, Epson claims 'Up to 40% lower printing costs vs. color laser'.
    [​IMG]

3. mattcauthon thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the fast reply, those are both 2 really solid options.
    Is there a brother model similar to the one you showed me except is all-in-one as well?

4. Giuly, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

5. mattcauthon thread starter macrumors newbie

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If you find a printer that does what you want other than AirPrint, you can enable AirPrint support using PrinTopia or handyPrint software on your computer - requires the computer to remain up and running though. I use handyPrint with my old color laser & it works great.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I'm not a fan of wireless printers. I have one that seems to lose connectivity when it goes into sleep mode. Much easier to wire a printer since it doesn't move around.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Agreed. I have a basement so it was easy to run an Ethernet through the floor, but not always practical to do that.

9. max pl macrumors regular

i've had a wireless brother laser printer for 2 years now with no connection issues. EVER.

this thing works flawlessly and is still on the starter toner despite a bunch of use these past two years.

10. mattcauthon thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I ended up going with an inkjet - more specifically the Epson WF-3540. The reason why I went with it was its extremely good reviews and all the features that it offers. So far my experience with the printer has been fantastic. The printing speed is slow (in comparison to a laser printer), but other than that, everything is absolutely amazing. I have had no issues setting it up on both my household PC's and Mac computers. Also the ease at which you can print from iPads and iPhones has been tremendous.

Bottom line, Thanks so much for suggesting this printer Giuly, and thanks everyone else for your input. i really appreciate it!