All iPads AirPrint? ePrint? How best to print from iDevice?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacVault, Mar 15, 2013.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

I'm confused...

-- What's up with AirPrint? I rarely see it on printers.
    -- What is ePrint? ... can an iDevice print to this?
    -- Can I print straight over wifi from an iDevice?
    -- What is the best way to print directly to a printer from an iDevice?
    -- The Apple Store's AirPrint printers are only inkjet. I want laser... a small-footprint color laser with airprint.

I'm surprised this topic seems to fragmented and confusing.

2. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I just bought an HP laser printer with both airprint AND eprint. With eprint, yu set up an account, for example on HP's "eprint center" and establish a special email account for your printer (which needs to be connectd to the internet). Then, you can send an email with an attachment to your printer from anywhere in the world and your printer will print th eattachment (several formats supported such as .doc .pdf, .jpg, etc).

With air print your device needs to be on the same wireless network as your printer and you can then choose "airprint" from your device to send a job (like a document or web page) to the printer over your network.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I bought a $65 AirPrint hardware server by Lantronix that AirPrint enables your non-AirPrint printers. It works great.

4. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I have HandyPrint (used to be called AirPrint Hacktivator) installed on my Mac Mini and it seems to work fine. Free too.