Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
So, I've had an AirPrint for several years now. And I loved it. It is the HP Envy 100. The past couple of weeks, I've been having issues getting AirPrint to work both from my MBP (OS X Mavericks) and iOS 7. Mavericks always says the printer is not connected, but turning it off then on usually does the trick. However, with iOS, the printer doesn't show up at all. All softwares are up-to-date, including the printer.

Since I ran out of ink and also because my printer was at least 4-5 years old, I figured might as well buy a new one since I was getting it at a pretty good deal (~$140). I bought the newer model, the HP Envy 120 and I thought that just getting a new one will fix everything. Unfortunately, it did not, even with software updates. I am getting the same issues with AirPrint and it's getting downright annoying. I don't print much but just knowing it doesn't work is annoying me.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or have had this same situation?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So, I've had an AirPrint for several years now. And I loved it. It is the HP Envy 100. The past couple of weeks, I've been having issues getting AirPrint to work both from my MBP (OS X Mavericks) and iOS 7. Mavericks always says the printer is not connected, but turning it off then on usually does the trick. However, with iOS, the printer doesn't show up at all. All softwares are up-to-date, including the printer.

Since I ran out of ink and also because my printer was at least 4-5 years old, I figured might as well buy a new one since I was getting it at a pretty good deal (~$140). I bought the newer model, the HP Envy 120 and I thought that just getting a new one will fix everything. Unfortunately, it did not, even with software updates. I am getting the same issues with AirPrint and it's getting downright annoying. I don't print much but just knowing it doesn't work is annoying me.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or have had this same situation?

Have you had any updates to your network at all? It sounds like the printer is having trouble maintaining a good and stable connection to your wireless router or AP.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Have you had any updates to your network at all? It sounds like the printer is having trouble maintaining a good and stable connection to your wireless router or AP.

I have a <2 month old Apple Time Capsule, which replaced a 3-year old Time Capsule. Software is up-to-date.

If it matters and just in case, my SSID is quite long - about 24 characters w/ spaces. My previous one with the old Time Capsule was only 8 characters w/ no spaces.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have a <2 month old Apple Time Capsule, which replaced a 3-year old Time Capsule. Software is up-to-date.

If it matters and just in case, my SSID is quite long - about 24 characters w/ spaces. My previous one with the old Time Capsule was only 8 characters w/ no spaces.

I would try to delete the settings on the printer to factory settings and then readd the printer via WPS on the AirPort.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I would try to delete the settings on the printer to factory settings and then readd the printer via WPS on the AirPort.

The printer is only a couple hours old, so it was basically at "factory settings" until I configured the settings. What do you mean by "readd the printer via WPS on the AirPort"? Is this different from me having the Printer connect/join my WiFi network? If not, what should I do differently?

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Can't help but I find my HP all in one is pretty flaky at keeping the wireless connection. If I could swap a few things about I would drop in a powerline adaptor to it to see if a wired connection would be any better.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The printer is only a couple hours old, so it was basically at "factory settings" until I configured the settings. What do you mean by "readd the printer via WPS on the AirPort"? Is this different from me having the Printer connect/join my WiFi network? If not, what should I do differently?

I am not too familiar with HP printers. I would try going to Wi-Fi settings on the printer and find a button for WPS. Then go to AirPort Utility and add it under the "Base Station" menu.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Can't help but I find my HP all in one is pretty flaky at keeping the wireless connection. If I could swap a few things about I would drop in a powerline adaptor to it to see if a wired connection would be any better.

I am not too familiar with HP printers. I would try going to Wi-Fi settings on the printer and find a button for WPS. Then go to AirPort Utility and add it under the "Base Station" menu.

Out of curiosity, I decided to rename my network to something <8 characters with no spaces. Surprisingly, that seems to have taken care of the issue. It seems to be working now, both from my MBP and iPhone. I no longer have to restart it to have it be "seen" by my MBP or iPhone.

Just so weird that a network name could cause this issue. Also, makes me wonder now if I should just return this printer and keep my old HP Envy 100 since it wasn't a printer hardware problem.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Out of curiosity, I decided to rename my network to something <8 characters with no spaces. Surprisingly, that seems to have taken care of the issue. It seems to be working now, both from my MBP and iPhone. I no longer have to restart it to have it be "seen" by my MBP or iPhone.

Just so weird that a network name could cause this issue. Also, makes me wonder now if I should just return this printer and keep my old HP Envy 100 since it wasn't a printer hardware problem.

I would use whatever has cheaper ink.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I would use whatever has cheaper ink.

Both use the same ink (HP60; Black & Color is ~$30; XL version is ~$65). This one is just the newer model. It looks somewhat sleeker than my previous one and has a bigger touch screen, also it is quiet. It's still compact which I like since I have it tucked away and it doesn't need a lot of room.

Decisions, decisions...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Both use the same ink (HP60; Black & Color is ~$30; XL version is ~$65). This one is just the newer model. It looks somewhat sleeker than my previous one and has a bigger touch screen, also it is quiet. It's still compact which I like since I have it tucked away and it doesn't need a lot of room.

Decisions, decisions...

If I may make a suggestion... Since it appears you prefer inkjet printers I recommend the Canon MG5320. Ink is dirt cheap on Amazon, the quality of the prints are amazing, and AirPrint is supported and reliable. Have had one since 2012 and it is a fantastic printer. I also have the MG5220 and it uses the same ink but does not support AirPrint.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
If I may make a suggestion... Since it appears you prefer inkjet printers I recommend the Canon MG5320. Ink is dirt cheap on Amazon, the quality of the prints are amazing, and AirPrint is supported and reliable. Have had one since 2012 and it is a fantastic printer. I also have the MG5220 and it uses the same ink but does not support AirPrint.

Wow, that's a lot cheaper than mine. Though, it looks a lot bigger and I won't have the space to accommodate it; I can't seem to find the dimensions for this printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.