Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
I am using Catalina (10.15.7)

Both printers worked perfectly until I changed the wifi password, I reset the password on both printers and they printed the test print to prove the wifi is connected.

However, I cannot print on either printer, I removed them and tried to add them and they do not show up on the list under default.

For some reason, I can only print from my iPhone to the 8710DW... I have no idea what to do at this point.

TIA

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Remove the printer from your System Preferences and add it again, selecting the printer driver. If no printer driver exists, use AirPrint. Then, restart the computer, connect the printer to the computer again and fire up System Preferences again and check for Software Update. There will, most likely, be a software update for the in-built driver that's specific to your printer class. If not, just visit Brother website and download the latest macOS drivers.

While it is best to just visit Brother website and download the drivers, you may also get away with resetting your printing system. Just right-click or Option-Click on the printer and use the menu.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 11.42.04 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 11.42.04 AM.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 96

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
The issue is that neither printer will not show up after I remove them.

I downloaded the drivers from brother’s website and updated. It did not seem to make a difference after restarting the computer and printer.

The printers connect to internet, I pinged them with the network utility and for some the computer cannot find them-

Ping has started…

PING 192.168.1.32 (192.168.1.32): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

--- 192.168.1.32 ping statistics ---

4 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Last edited:

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
Not really an answer for you but AirPrint hasn't worked for my Samsung printer for quite a while now. Even the Samsung (now owned by HP) web site acknowledges the fact. Latest drivers don't work, so gave up and just connected a cable. Personally I think it has more to do with Catalina. Apple have tweaked something somewhere which breaks AirPrint for some of us.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Not really an answer for you but AirPrint hasn't worked for my Samsung printer for quite a while now. Even the Samsung (now owned by HP) web site acknowledges the fact. Latest drivers don't work, so gave up and just connected a cable. Personally I think it has more to do with Catalina. Apple have tweaked something somewhere which breaks AirPrint for some of us.
That is ridiculous... my 2 printers worked fine with catalina until I changed wifi password. Only 1 of the printers is capable for airprint from ios. I think it was made right before ios could print on printers. I will have to contact apple because this is a hassle because my computers aren't next to printers in the house.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
Yes its ridiculous but good luck with Apple. My guess is that they will blame the printer manufacturer and the manufacturer will blame Apple. And on and on and on..........

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
I’m unsure of what you mean by “web access”. My situation was that before some point in Catalina I had zero problems with AirPrint from either MacOS or IOS. Now only IOS works. AirPrint would find the printer in MacOS but it would print gibberish on reams of sheets of paper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.