Airprint on Non-Listed Brother Printer & Maybe Others

Discussion in 'iPad' started by damzz, Apr 7, 2012.

1. damzz macrumors newbie

Bought a new iPad, my first Apple venture. Was disappointed with the printing with Brother's iPrint & Scan on the MFC-J6910DW. So, purchased a MFC-J625DW. Set it up and nothing happened. Downloaded latest J625 firmware and serendipitously both printers showed up as upgradeable. Taking the "risk", upgraded both and now both showup and work.

Both printers have the same print engine. That may be why it works. So, if you have a supposedly non-Airprint printer, check for a firmware upgrade of it or another and give it a try.

2. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

My brand new Epson Workforce 520 I bought last year doesn't have AirPrint and neither does my trusty Brother HL-5250DN laser printer. Both are networked and neither shows up on my iPod 4G.

However, Airprint Activator got all my network printers working even on my old PowerPC server. All I need is one of my computers to be on and I can print from my iPod or other iOS device.

Frankly, I think it's ridiculous that Apple didn't include that level of functionality in OSX to begin with. WTF should you have to have a newer printer just to print over a network? Many of us have servers on 24/7 (my whole house audio/video server for example) and being able to print from an available printer should be a no-brainer.

In fact, it'd be nice if router upgrades would handle this automatically for network printers (but Apple would probably want a license fee which kills the technology).