Airprint Printer - iPad but no other computer?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by paulgarb, Feb 25, 2012.

1. paulgarb, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

paulgarb macrumors regular

A long shot I guess but any guidance welcome. The scenario is this;

(1) away from home with iPad, wifi available but no other computer
    (2) need to print several things
    (3) contemplating buying cheap printer (AirPrint compatible) - £50 or less

The question is - does anyone know of a low cost printer that can be set up to connect to the wifi without the need for an intervening computer?

I am pretty convinced I set my home printer (Canon MG6150) to connect to my home network via the control panel on the printer (can't check because as stated I am away from home). So I am assuming/hoping there might be a printer out there which might fot the bill - limitations are I need it quickly so am limited to UK 'sheds' such as Currys, Comet or similar.

Also I would prefer actual practical experience rather than guesswork - beleive me I've guessed at a lot of things this afternoon/evening.

Thanks in anticipation

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

I have a cheap HP Photosmart printer which is AirPrint compatible and I'm pretty sure it was all set up on the printer itself. It was about £50.

3. normanbates macrumors regular

I have a HP Deskjet 3050 (I think that's the model number). It's WiFi and can be set up without a PC.

However it is not Airprint, but you can download an App from the App Store made by HP (Home & Biz I think it's called) that is compatible with the printer, even though the HP support site says it isn't.

Best of all I got my printer for ab £35

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Epson SX535 WD will do this..Comes with the ability to setup your iPad and print straight to it, as long as it's turned on. I have one, works great. Easy to setup and I think they are around £100 UK now.

Google will tell you.