airprint printers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kclark, Jul 1, 2011.

1. kclark macrumors member

Will airprint printers only work with ipads and ipods. I want an hp airprint that will work with ipads, ipods and macbook pro.

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i believe you can also use your computer. im pretty sure. can someone confirm.

3. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

HP's ePrint technology (i.e. AirPrint-capable) allows you to set up an email address for the printer itself - so you can essentially print anything by emailing it to the printer from wherever you are.

Being AirPrint capable means that an iOS device will see the printer on the network, and can use its built-in print function.

In all other respects, ePrint and AirPrint printers are standard printers/all in one devices. They can plug in to any laptop (Mac or PC), and if wireless-capable, can be printed to from any computer on that network.

4. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

figured i'd add to this thread instead of starting a new one cause my question is kind of related.

does anyone know if the only printers capable of airprint are specific HP ones? for some reason my dad seems to think that the canon MX882 can do it, so I'm looking into that for him. however, all the information that I've gathered say that it cannot print directly from ipad.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

There are several cheap & free options to add iOS printing ability to any printer connected to your Mac.

I use Printopia and I've been very satisfied with it. It'll allow your iOS devices to print to any printer on your Mac, print as PDF and save on your Mac's desktop, or print as PDF and save to DropBox.

There's free options as well, but not sure they give you DropBox integration and save as PDF options.

6. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

thanks xraydoc, i too found printopia. maybe i'll demo that for my dad and see if he's okay with that as he already has a printer. he's just really set on the idea of "wireless printing" to the printer - and I suspect he doesn't want to turn on the computer first to do that (they always turn it off when they're not using it)

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No problem. Glad to help.

Remind him that the $9 for Printopia and the electricity used by leaving his Mac on all the time will still be cheaper than a new printer.