AirPrint printers?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by deathcab4xtina, Sep 1, 2011.

1. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

What's a good cheap AirPrint enabled printer? I'm using my iPad for everything for school and occasionally need to print things.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

I have an HP Photosmart B110. Works great and was seriously cheap.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The only thing cheap about airprint-capable HP printers is the up-front price. Of course this is true for all printers these days. Replacement cartridges are what will break your bank, and what makes the printer companies rich.

I'm hoping Apple will add airprint support for Canon, Epson, Samsung, etc.. WiFi printers in iOS 5, but guessing they want a licensing fee from those companies that the companies won't pay. Samsung's Tablets print to Samsung WiFi printers now, and HTC Sense on many phones and HTC's tablet prints to several brands/models of WiFi printers.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I added an iPad2 to my studio last month and found the AirPrint Activator App enabled wireless printer to my old Epson printer. Why spend money on unneeded items?

5. msavwah macrumors 6502

6. zaxdude macrumors regular

HP P1102w

Currently on sale at OfficeMax for 99.99. There's a $10 off coupon you can nab for use when purchasing.

The laser printer is awesome and has a small footprint.

HP P1102w

$10 COUPON (PDF)

7. jesterscourt macrumors regular

@zaxdude, this computer doesn't appear to be Airprint capable after some Google searching.

8. zaxdude macrumors regular

well don't trust me -- i'm just using the printer.

so -- trust apple. did you check their list?? if not, here it is:

AirPrint Printers List By Apple

ps. i will add that if the firmware applied to the P1102w you get doesn't support it out of the box, there is a firmware upgrade available for installation. it will just depend on the manufacture date of the printer purchased.

9. Lagranger macrumors member

I don't know if this is a nationwide sale in the US, but Sam's Club is offering an AirPrint-compatible Photosmart printer for $55 ($65 w/ $10 instant rebate) as part of their Labor Day weekend sale.

10. RayK macrumors 6502

The p1102w is the cheapest AirPrint laser I know of. Only black and white tho... I bought one today. The firmware update only works on windows tho.. :(

11. deathcab4xtina thread starter macrumors regular

is laser print better than inkjet? bjs club has the HP d110a for $75.

12. RayK macrumors 6502

Laser print is a cheaper cost per page black and white and is generally regarded as clearer text. It costs less than buying ink all the time and it keeps people from printing pictures.

13. deathcab4xtina thread starter macrumors regular

ok because i looked at the laser printer refill and it was like $70!

14. zaxdude macrumors regular

you can get a compatible CE285A cartridge for the P1102w WAY cheaper on places such as ebay. usually less than 20 bux. i've never had any issues using non-oem (non-HP) cartridges with HP printers.

15. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Not sure if this works still or not but when I ordered my printer I used this code on Amazon

TRONHPePrint

It gives a £30 discount on HP printers.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Just now tried it. Didn't work. :( Thanks for sharing though! :D

17. Primus84 macrumors 6502

But bare in mind how many pages that $70 cartridge will print. The cost of printing is generally far lower per page with lasers.

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

Do you mean D110? That's the one I have and I got it for $40 back when it was on sale. Works very well although others seemed to have had problems with it (apple discussions is full of it but I never had any trouble).

19. david77 macrumors regular

just got the D110 today. I was able to print from the iPad initially but now I get a Printer is Offline message. Anyone else run into this?

20. yamaduc macrumors member

yamaduc

Go to Costco and get your ink cartridge refilled for way cheaper than buying new ones.

21. Lagranger macrumors member

Just a quick hint for other HP Photosmart D110 owners who want to scan directly to their iPads but don't want to use HP's eprint app (which doesn't allow you to send your scans to other onboard apps without first sending it off of the device):

Use the printer's embedded web server 'webscan' feature. The only real trick is finding a browser app that will properly download the completed scan. The only one I've found so far is Downloads HD. With this app I'm able to scan directly to my iPad and send the resulting PDF to Goodreader, PDF Expert, etc.

Note: I have no connection with the company/author behind this app, etc. Blah blah blah.