AirPrint protocol

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by TeeJayEm, Nov 10, 2010.

1. TeeJayEm macrumors regular

With the news posted about apple canceling airprint support for printers that are attached to PC's; I'm curious, isn't airprint an open standard? Couldn't someone create their own airprint server and host it on a PC (or mac)? Is there any documentation that provides this information on the standard?

Thanks,

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I do not believe it is an open standard and there is no public documentation of the protocol that I am aware of. The API to print is public but that then uses a non-public protocol to do the actual communication between the iOS device and the print host.

3. TeeJayEm, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010

TeeJayEm thread starter macrumors regular

Could you pass me a link on this by chance? I'm really interested in exploring this. Hopefully, if the printing portion is public there should be docs on developing the 'listener' as well. After all, HP already has this information.

4. robbieduncan, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010

robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need to be a registered, paid-up developer. Then you can look it up yourself in the Beta documentation. There are no documents on developing "listeners". Apple have provided help/documents to the printer manufacturers under NDA.

5. TeeJayEm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips.