Airprint status for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacVDS, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MacVDS macrumors regular

Does anyone know if Airprint will eventually work with printers other than the HP ePrint models or is what we got now will be it? It worked great when I bought the new HP Photosmart Premium all in one. Unfortunately, many of the new HP printers have a power saving issue that puts the printer in a coma when left on for extended periods that can only be reset by unplugging the power cord. I went through 3 C310a's and hours of tech support with no resolution so I took it back and got an Epson All in One 725 wireless. The iPad does not recognize the 725 without a separate app. Airprint doesn't see it on the network. I'm just wondering if Airprint will eventually solve this issue or if we will be stuck with HP only for some reason. I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere. I was under the impression when 4.2 was released it would work with all network and wireless printers. TIA.

BTW, the Epson works great, with none of the issues I had with the HP. The HP is way cooler in design however. I really hated to give it up.

2. chappy87 macrumors regular

3. MacVDS thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I saw that. I wish it worked for Windows 7. Seems like the solution for Mac users.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

HP has said that they will be adding it to many current models via firmware update. I just wish it supported at least the same printer models that HP's own "iPrint" app supports. Why have an all new method, rather than just using existing methods?

5. MacVDS thread starter macrumors regular

Really appreciate the magic, though I have been unable to get this hack to download no matter which site link I try. Have you gotten it to download and install? Thanks....

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I was due for a new printer anyway so I got the HP 8500 at Best Buy for $150. Works great for Airprint and I can even e-mail the printer remotely from my iPad/iPhone for printing.

HP is apparently running a promotion that if you bring in any printer working or not to Best Buy, they will give you an instant $50 rebate on top of the sale price. That's how I got the 8500 for $150. Not a bad deal for a $300 printer.