AirPrint: Wifi printer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DennisMadsen, Nov 22, 2010.

1. DennisMadsen, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

DennisMadsen macrumors regular

I've a WiFi network printer which works great with Mac OS X and Windows: Brother HL-5370DW. Can the new AirPrint in iOS 4.2 only print to printers which are connected via USB to a Apple router (Airport Express, Airport Extreme or Time Capsule)?

2. yocko macrumors member

even then. I have the same Brother... hooked up via usb to time capsule.... no such luck... apparently only some hp printers...

3. khmaikiew macrumors member

4. DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

Crap! I had really looked forward to this :(
    Will they add more supported printers eventually?

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Check out Printopia ($7) as strident said or AirPrint Hacktivator (free). Supposedly Apple pulled universal support at the last minute due to a patent troll or licensing issue. My guess is that HP wanted exclusive rights for a short period of time to push their "AirPrint enabled" printers.

6. DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Well until (if) AirPrint is updated we may not have much choice.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Unless you have a printer with AirPrint you're out of luck. The AirPrint enabled printers basically have a small program that allows it to understand the AirPrint protocol (urf to pdf).

9. iggypod, Nov 22, 2010

iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I just purchased and installed printopia and 5 seconds later it worked like a champ. Well worth the hassle free factor, in the interim, IMHO.

Here is a good TUAW article / link on it.

10. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Don't see why printers with bonjour can't work with Airprint. I mean why can't Apple utilize this protocol instead or add to it?

11. PsudoPowerPoint macrumors regular

AirPrint was one of the main reasons that I had been eager to see the iOS 4 update. I was very surprised to find that it only works with about 6 printers. Fortunately, somebody posted the name "Printopia" as a fix for the problem. I just downloaded a copy to my mac. With just a double click to start the download, it now allows me to print from my iPad to the network printer I normally use with my iMac.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

In order to print without your computer being on, printers need to natively support AirPrint. Adding this support is the responsibility of the printer manufacturers

13. palmerc2, Nov 22, 2010

palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I just got the trial for Printopia and it rocks! To set things straight...you can send a print job directly to the printer, without having to do anything on your computer....completely hassle free....will purchase!

check out my screen caps below....see for yourself, I don't have an airprint capable printer, but this works great with my Canon. Once I hit "print" on my iPhone it starts printing right away. It works with Mail, Photos, Safari, etc etc!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

To clarify, with Printopia you have to have the computer it's on running or obviously it won't work.

Also, please edit and use [​IMG]

15. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

16. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Sucsk apple would only have certain hp printers to have this feature. Not everybody is going to get rid of their current printer just to have one of these hp ones. Most won't spend 10 dollars to get printopia, when the update was free.

This feature should be in all the brands of printers. I just got a brand new canon printer and won't be able to print from my ipad or iphone wirelessly.