Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I've a WiFi network printer which works great with Mac OS X and Windows: Brother HL-5370DW. Can the new AirPrint in iOS 4.2 only print to printers which are connected via USB to a Apple router (Airport Express, Airport Extreme or Time Capsule)?

Last edited:

yocko

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
I've a WiFi network printer which works great with Mac OS X and Windows: Brother HL-5370DW. Can the new AirPrint in iOS 4.2 only print to printers which are connected via USB to a Apple router (Airport Express, Airport Extreme or Time Capsule)?

even then. I have the same Brother... hooked up via usb to time capsule.... no such luck... apparently only some hp printers...

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Crap! I had really looked forward to this :(
Will they add more supported printers eventually?
Check out Printopia ($7) as strident said or AirPrint Hacktivator (free). Supposedly Apple pulled universal support at the last minute due to a patent troll or licensing issue. My guess is that HP wanted exclusive rights for a short period of time to push their "AirPrint enabled" printers.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I would not like to print through my Mac. The situations where I would like to print from my iPhone is times where my Mac/PC is turned off.
Unless you have a printer with AirPrint you're out of luck. The AirPrint enabled printers basically have a small program that allows it to understand the AirPrint protocol (urf to pdf).

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I just purchased and installed printopia and 5 seconds later it worked like a champ. Well worth the hassle free factor, in the interim, IMHO.

Here is a good TUAW article / link on it.

Last edited:

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Don't see why printers with bonjour can't work with Airprint. I mean why can't Apple utilize this protocol instead or add to it?

PsudoPowerPoint

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
San Diego CA, USA
AirPrint was one of the main reasons that I had been eager to see the iOS 4 update. I was very surprised to find that it only works with about 6 printers. Fortunately, somebody posted the name "Printopia" as a fix for the problem. I just downloaded a copy to my mac. With just a double click to start the download, it now allows me to print from my iPad to the network printer I normally use with my iMac.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I would not like to print through my Mac. The situations where I would like to print from my iPhone is times where my Mac/PC is turned off.

In order to print without your computer being on, printers need to natively support AirPrint. Adding this support is the responsibility of the printer manufacturers

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I just got the trial for Printopia and it rocks! To set things straight...you can send a print job directly to the printer, without having to do anything on your computer....completely hassle free....will purchase!

check out my screen caps below....see for yourself, I don't have an airprint capable printer, but this works great with my Canon. Once I hit "print" on my iPhone it starts printing right away. It works with Mail, Photos, Safari, etc etc!

photo1.png

photo2.png

photo3-1.png

photo4-1.png

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I just got the trial for Printopia and it rocks! To set things straight...you can send a print job directly to the printer, without having to do anything on your computer....completely hassle free....will purchase!

check out my screen caps below....see for yourself, I don't have an airprint capable printer, but this works great with my Canon. Once I hit "print" on my iPhone it starts printing right away. It works with Mail, Photos, Safari, etc etc!

[Quoter Edit] Snipped images due to size.
To clarify, with Printopia you have to have the computer it's on running or obviously it won't work.

Also, please edit and use

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
To clarify, with Printopia you have to have the computer it's on running or obviously it won't work.

Also, please edit and use instead of [IMG]. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

yeah, as suspected.....I have a laptop here too that I share with my iMac, now the iPhone has the sam functionality.

fixed it with proper code, thanks for letting me know

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Sucsk apple would only have certain hp printers to have this feature. Not everybody is going to get rid of their current printer just to have one of these hp ones. Most won't spend 10 dollars to get printopia, when the update was free.

This feature should be in all the brands of printers. I just got a brand new canon printer and won't be able to print from my ipad or iphone wirelessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.