AirPrint

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Martlets93, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Martlets93 macrumors member

Martlets93

I was looking at the AirPrint compatible printers on the Apple site, and gave them a call. I decided to check around before I ordered one, since I was thinking of getting the fax as well, and wanted to check the reviews. I noticed the printers are cheaper elsewhere. Is there something special about the printers on the Apple site? They seem to be the exact same model.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, there's nothing special about the printers Apple sells, and it's not surprising they're less expensive elsewhere.

3. Martlets93 thread starter macrumors member

Martlets93

That's what I figured. I guess it makes more sense to pick one up locally.

4. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Currently, only the HP ePrint-enabled printers support AirPrint, and I'm sure they can be had cheaper in a retail store compared to Apple's website...

5. njaremka macrumors 6502

whats the general consensus on HP printers? i've always liked canon, just because i've had good experiences with them. but, i've never tried any hp printers. the only issue i have with my current canon, is the cost of replacement ink cartridges. seems that it would be cheaper to get a new printer when i need to replace the ink. i'd like to get something with airprint, as it seems like a nice convience thing to have in the house.

6. laurenr macrumors 6502a

If you have a Mac, it is not necessary to especially buy on of those "e-print" capable Printers. Just use this extremely useful "hack" to enable wireless printing - works from iPad, iPhone, etc flawlessly:
    Quote from their site:
    "What is it:

AirPrint Activator is a small application that will enable a Mac OSX 10.6.5 + iTunes 10.1 hidden feature to allow your shared printer to be visible on your iOS 4.2.1 devices. AirPrint allow you to print from new generation of Apple iPhones,iPad and iPod Touch to a printer shared over your personal WiFi network.
    "

http://netputing.com/airprintactivator/

Edit: I believe there is one for Windows as well; just google it.

7. mrial macrumors regular

With AirPrint you can print to the printer directly without using a Mac that the printer is connected to. If your mac is asleep (and AirPrint Activator'ed), you would have to wake it up so it can share it's printer for an ios device to print.

8. njaremka macrumors 6502

which kind of defeats the purpose of airprint. again, i just wish that apple would activate airprint on the airport base stations. i have an AEBS and an airport express. both have printers connected to them. but, i cant print unless i forward to my MBP. :(