Airs, Pro's connected to the ATD / ACD.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ModestMoo, Apr 9, 2012.

1. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused and I have a bit discuss I think?

Why do people uses for example MBA connected to the ATD / ACD. Yea, I know, MBA to be mobilize anywhere and anytime, and then do big work when connected to the display, uhm, but MBA is not machine for big work... Is it?

Now I currently have MBP i7 2.7GHz with 8GB ram, and I can't decide should I go with just display or buy an iMac? Money is not a problem here.

Thanks guys, please share why you do that and what I should get.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you consider "big work"? The MBA can handle any workload that other Macs can handle. It may be a bit slower on some extremely resource-intensive apps, but for the vast majority of users, it does just fine.
    If money isn't a problem, just buy one of each. :D

3. ModestMoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Yeah, but for me for example I need Adobe Photoshop / Fireworks / Dreamweaver / Illustrator to be open all the time (yeah, sometimes just FW and DW) if I'm working, my MBP handles it very very nicely. I don't think MBA can handle that with 4GB of ram (yesss, If it's full it takes memory from SSD) but still, just saying...

And I just don't want to waste money, I want that or that. Not both.

4. rafael.souza macrumors newbie

I don't know the others, but, for me, for my use, using MBA or MBP connected to ATD/ACD or another monitor is better, because you also have mobility, and also a big screen, with big resolution, in a very nice monitor.

With the MBP you can use at home/work with a big screen, and also go around with MBP in "your arms anywhere" hahah ;P

Combining the mbp/mba with a big screen, is better than iMac, assuming that you don't need a external video card (i don't know if you're using 13" or 15")

I use my macbook pro in all places, at work, at my house, college, and i prefer the macbook+thunderbolt display than the iMac because i use just to watch movies with a 40inch 3D television, and for work and college, just virtual machines, so, i don't need a external video card, just enough memory and speed (i'll buy a ssd soon)