AirSharing application help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sasuke-chan, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

So I just bought this application because one of my main use for ipod touch is to read documents...

But now I am facing a really big problem.

I do not have wireless at home and is actually using cable.. As such, I do not know how to configure the network setting to sync this to my ipod touch.. Apparently I read somewhere that, after configuring (successfully), the moment you plug it into your laptop/com, you are able to just drag and drop whatever docs you want to airsharing. Since that is the case, I don't see how wifi is that important for this application to work.

I am currently using windows xp and the airsharing i download should be the latest version seeing that I downloaded it today. Please help! Thanks!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

While with Airsharing, it is possible to create a virtual folder on your desktop that represents the Touch/iPhone, to which you can drag and drop files, it still makes the connection over the air, using wifi. If you had several computers connected over a wifi network, the same thing will happen. The other computers would appear on your desktop, and you could drag and drop files to and from them, but they will be connected over wifi, not cable.

If you want to transfer files to your Touch over USB, I suggest you try FileAid along with DiskAid. http://www.digidna.net/fileaid/

The drawback is that you have to install DiskAid on all the computers you want to transfer files with. But it is a small program that installs quickly and takes up minimal system resource.

But to be honest, I've given up trying to use my Touch as a file storage device, and taken to carrying around a small USB flash drive. It's small, compact, sturdy, and I know it will work no matter where I am or what computer I'm trying to connect it to. I thought it would bug me having to carry an extra device around, but it really hasn't.

3. Sasuke-chan thread starter macrumors member

OMG.. it means that I jsut wasted money buying an app that I can't use =X okay, thanx for your recommendation, I will have a look =D

Well.. carrying a USB is not as good.. because I can't read the docs without a computer...

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What kind of docs? Last time I tried one of the file storing type apps, I found reading docs on them very frustrating. If you are talking about just *reading* text-based documents (.txt, .doc), I think Stanza or BookShelf is a lot better. If you want to be able to transfer docs between computers, then FileAid/DiskAid should do it, but don't expect a smooth reading experience.

5. Sasuke-chan thread starter macrumors member

I want it for reading rather than storing.. Just words or txt documents.. preferably with chinese support.. DiskAid works.. I will try out the other two. Thanks =D

Edit: I downloaded Stanza and they don't allow txt or docs, only pdb.. which I can't convert too..

DiskAid works, but the fonts are too small, and when you increase it, you have to go from left to right to read a sentence which is pretty tedious.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Download their desktop app, which converts almost any document format to anything else. BookShelf actuallly accepts txt and html files as is. Although, come to think of it, both Stanza and BookShelf also need wifi to transfer the files to your Touch. I guess if you are serious about using your Touch as a reading device, you should really looking into getting a wifi router for your home. Or check to see if your computer already has a wifi card installed, if it does, you can set up this thing called "ad hoc network." (google it, and hopefully you can find easy to follow instructions)

Oh, and if you don't mind paying for reading material, check out Amazon's Kindle app.