Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi everybody,

when the AirTags were presented, I immediately thought about buying one for my backpack with my MacBook in it. However, after second thought: The MacBook inside will give me the same information on "Find My" – even when sleeping – with low power bluetooth connection to other Apple devices nearby, am I correct? The only real-word scenario in which I lose my backpack would be with the MacBook inside of it (and enough battery left), so I just want to be sure if I can save the money for the AirTag. In this case I only need one for my keys ... The only difference I can imagine that the U1 chip of the AirTag can show an even more precise location.

If anybody could confirm, I would be grateful. Thanks a lot in advance!

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
Hi everybody,

when the AirTags were presented, I immediately thought about buying one for my backpack with my MacBook in it. However, after second thought: The MacBook inside will give me the same information on "Find My" – even when sleeping – with low power bluetooth connection to other Apple devices nearby, am I correct? The only real-word scenario in which I lose my backpack would be with the MacBook inside of it (and enough battery left), so I just want to be sure if I can save the money for the AirTag. In this case I only need one for my keys ... The only difference I can imagine that the U1 chip of the AirTag can show an even more precise location.

If anybody could confirm, I would be grateful. Thanks a lot in advance!
Does MacBook automatically connect to a wifi network or an iPhone if it's never joined? Say if you are at a conference and you lost your backpack in a bar, then someone picked it up or stole it, you won't know the location of your backpack where an AirTag, in lost mode will auto magically find nearest person with an iPhone, and automatically connect to it and the iPhone will send the location.

Reactions: TinyChip

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Does MacBook automatically connect to a wifi network or an iPhone if it's never joined? Say if you are at a conference and you lost your backpack in a bar, then someone picked it up or stole it, you won't know the location of your backpack where an AirTag, in lost mode will auto magically find nearest person with an iPhone, and automatically connect to it and the iPhone will send the location.
I think the MacBook will do the exact same with low-power bluetooth (or whatever), even in sleep mode, that's at least how I understand it and that's why I asked to be sure.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Lots of people commenting here are just posting nonsense.

No, the MacBook doesn’t work exactly the same like AirTag because the AirTag IS ALWAYS ON ALL THE TIME. Don’t listen to people telling you it functions the same like a MacBook.
My results of internet search were indeed that the MacBook – even when sleeping – will connect to nearby iPhones, iPads or Macs via bluetooth and be visible via "Find My". The AirTag does nothing else – if there's no other Apple device nearby, neither the MacBook nor the AirTag will be able to send location though, of course. The only difference, as mentioned above, may be location accuracy because of U1 in AirTags.

Maybe someone else can give definite info.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I was under the impression it only contacts to wifi or your iphone if it’s nearby but if it’s not it won’t tell you where it is...I’m putting one of my air tags on my work bag for this reason plus I have a lock on my bag so won’t be able to open anyway

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
My results of internet search were indeed that the MacBook – even when sleeping – will connect to nearby iPhones, iPads or Macs via bluetooth and be visible via "Find My". The AirTag does nothing else – if there's no other Apple device nearby, neither the MacBook nor the AirTag will be able to send location though, of course. The only difference, as mentioned above, may be location accuracy because of U1 in AirTags.

I don’t have a definite info but I believe you’re right. ?

Camera bag though, that’s a must.

Reactions: lars666

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

Heh. Give your MacBook, in laptop knapsack to a friend and have them go for a walk in an urban area. Bring up Find My on your phone. If it doesn't give you the tracking that you want, then get an AirTag for it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I lost my Macbook in my house over night. We had no idea where it was. Tracking it on find my was absolutely useless. The location was last updated that morning. The lid was closed it wouldn‘t make a sound. It was later found in The house.

Reactions: TinyChip

kk200

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2021
If Apple wants, they can surely update the macOs to let macbook works similar to AirTag. But I don't believe macbook now would connect to unknown iPhone or iPad to report its location.

slpslee1

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
I put one in my messenger bag. I don’t always keep my MacBook in it, so it seemed a good use of one. Since I nearly have to be standing right on top of it to find it, I doubt it’s going to be much use after all. Mine has a range of about 30’, which isn’t a whole lot of good. I bought four of them but only ended up setting up two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.