Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's long-awaited AirTag was finally unveiled today, and as expected, the small circle-shaped accessories can be attached to items like wallets, keys, and more to allow them to be tracked in the Find My app.

airtag-precision-finding.jpg

As was rumored ahead of release, each AirTag is equipped with a U1 chip, and on devices that also have U1 chips, there's a Precision Finding feature.

U1 Ultra Wideband chips are included in the iPhone 11 and iPhone 12, with Precision Finding able to more accurately determine the distance and direction of a lost AirTag when it is in range when compared to Bluetooth alone.

If you're aiming to find a lost item and you have an iPhone 11 or 12, Precision Finding will direct you to your lost AirTag using input from the camera, ARKit, accelerometer, and gyroscope, with guidance provided through sound, haptics, and visual feedback.

It will display very specific directions to get you right to where your lost item is located, which has the potential to be handy if you lose something like your keys somewhere in your home.

AirTags that are separated from their owner and out of Bluetooth range will take advantage of the Find My network, which uses Apple devices like iPhones, iPads, and Macs. The Find My network can detect Bluetooth signals from a lost AirTag and relay the location back to its owner.

Each AirTag is priced at $29, with a pack of four available for $99. AirTags can be purchased starting at 5:00 a.m. Pacific Time on April 23.

Article Link: AirTag Includes U1 Chip for 'Precision Finding' Feature

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravi_MR

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Can't wait to get a few of these to put on some things people keep losing around me :cool:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Can these things be recharged?

So, I’m more wanting these to put in / on things that are likely to be stolen, my bike / car for example. Do these work in that way or are they for close range things only?

They use the Find My network so any Apple devices nearby can use the signal to locate it anonymously.

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Can I just interject here and say something no one seems to be talking about!! The airtag IF stolen, will alert the thieve if he has an iPhone that there is a tag tracking him. So he can dispose of it and keep my wallet. How is this a good idea?? I understand the need for privacy but seriously if I wanted to track someone I can just buy something on Amazon to do it. This makes no sense if someone actually wants to rob me?!?!

Liquid Galaxy

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Swindon, UK
Can these things be recharged?

They use the Find My network so any Apple devices nearby can use the signal to locate it anonymously.
Ahh, so unfortunately I won’t be able to track my car as it’s being driven down the highway then, unless the thief happens to have an iPhone in his pocket...? Tad disappointed I guess.

adrianlondon

macrumors 601
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
So, I’m more wanting these to put in / on things that are likely to be stolen, my bike / car for example. Do these work in that way or are they for close range things only?
Unfortunately they won't work as an anti-theft device. Let's say you have it on your bike and someone steals it.

Shortly after they ride off, if they own an iPhone, the anti-tracking feature will turn on and their phone will alert them to the fact they're with a tracker that isn't theirs. If they ignore the phone alert., the tracker then starts to emit a noise.

So it's useless as a theft deterrent, unless the person who steals your stuff has an android phone :)

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Can I just interject here and say something no one seems to be talking about!! The airtag IF stolen, will alert the thieve if he has an iPhone that there is a tag tracking him. So he can dispose of it and keep my wallet. How is this a good idea?? I understand the need for privacy but seriously if I wanted to track someone I can just buy something on Amazon to do it. This makes no sense if someone actually wants to rob me?!?!

That's my problem as well. I would like to use them to protect something like my bicycle. A thief will be notified there is a tracker inside and will just find it and discard it. Wtf??

Pirate!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2017
how well should I expect this to work in a parking garage if I leave one in my car? Is that realistic? What’s the max distance without another phone nearby?

also trying to think of how I can attach one to my wife’s sunglasses without it being too goofy ?

• Haha
Reactions: Geckotek

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
I think this is a brilliant product. I’ve been dreaming of something like this since I was a kid!!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Doesn't work that way at all. Tracking items you don't own does not alert you.

Edit: Seems I was mistaken.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.