AirTunes and Airport Express (as a repeater)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jenianifer, Aug 24, 2008.

1. jenianifer macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

My dad and I are trying to set up AirTunes. We've got a slight problem though: We've set up a wireless network throughout the house and use an AirPort Express as a repeater. While the repeater works just fine to send and receive data, it doesn't show up on the AirPort utility (only the "base" station is visible). Since we need to connect the AirTunes cables to the stereo via the Express/repeater, any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Thanks!

Edit:: Dad has another question-- can we extend the network and play music on AirTunes via one AirPort Express at the same time?

2. kolax macrumors G3

You can extend the network and play music at the same time.

How are you sure that the Airport Express is working as a repeater? Are you getting more range or are you just assuming? When I configured my Airport Express to work as an extender, my Airport Extreme and Airport Express both showed up in Airport Utility.

The Airport Express has the same menu as below. Have you set it up like that?

[​IMG]

3. jenianifer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for the help... the express was previously working as a repeater but not showing up in the utility (at least, there was a noticeable difference in the area of the wireless signal when it was disconnected vs. when it was plugged in). We finally did a hard reset and viola! it showed back up in the utility, so who knows...

Good news, we have an extended network and functioning AirTunes!

Thanks again for the help!