AIRTUNES and EPSON ALL IN ONE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bmorris, Nov 8, 2007.

1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

i use an airtunes express to connect my computers to my modem and stereo and epson cx7400 all in one printer. everything works fine except for the scanner.

i can print from any computer, but i cant scan.

the computer's scan utility doesnt see the printer and there isnt a button on the printer to scan.

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Sorry, but you have to connect directly to the computer for scanning to work. Airport Express won't handle that part.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wrong. You can scan through the AirPort.

You have to have the computer request the scan, pressing the scan button on the scanner won't work. You have to use Image Capture to request a scan (it's in the menus somewhere).

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Interesting, have to check it out. Thanks.

Edit: OK, I give up. I still don't believe it is possible to scan. Please prove me wrong, I'd love to scan... :)

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's been a while since I had a all-in-one printer, so my memory is fuzzy on how I did it (and it was on Panther, so things has clearly changed since then) but I know for a fact that I did scan over AirPort. And I know it had something to do with Image Capture.

Maybe open Image Capture, then press the scan button on the scanner? It's worth a try... (make sure that in the preferences, the "When Image Capture is opened, open scanner window" is checked.)

Another idea is to go to Devices menu and hit Browse Devices. See if your scanner shows up there.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I can verify from multiple attempts, with multiple brands, that connecting an all-in-one to the USB port on an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme will allow printing but not scanning.

itickings is correct, ravenvii is (sorry,) wrong.

(ravenvii) You may have been using an all-in-one that has its own built-in networking interface, and had it connected over the NETWORK connection instead of the USB connection. I have successfully done that multiple times (and presently have a network-enabled HP all-in-one connected that way.) But, again, it will not work over the USB port.

AirPort base stations only support two functions over their USB port: printing (note, printing, not printers, specifically means that it only supports printing, no matter what functions the printer may have,) and, in the case of the the 802.11-n AirPort Express, it also supports hard drive sharing.

So, no, your all-in-one may work for printing, but it won't work for scanning plugged into the USB port of an AirPort Express. And if it has memory card slots, those won't work, either.

However, if you have an all-in-one that has a network port, you can use the network connection to connect to your computer wirelessly via AirPort. (The cx7400 does not have networking.) Some printers and all-in-ones have built-in Ethernet, and some even have built-in Wi-Fi. And, they're getting cheaper. I recently saw an all-in-one by Brother with Ethernet for $99, and one with Wi-Fi for $149.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I still swear that the printer is USB, but you very well might be right. It was a Lexmark, and it was a while ago (and it wasn't even mine).

I swear though, that it was USB, and I got it to scan over the AirPort.

Oh well, I apologize for my (apparently) faulty memory. Alas.