iPod Touch Airtunes and iPod Touch!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ajthomason, Oct 20, 2007.

1. ajthomason macrumors 6502

I have spent a while searching around for a way to stream music straight from my iPod touch to my wireless speakers (Airtunes) attached to my Airport Express.

I have tried all sorts of ways, including signal (controls iTunes on my PC), but none of them would be as good as simply selecting the speakers from the iPod and playing to them from wherever i walk around the house!

Surely there are lots of people who would want this, not to mention the people would would buy an apple base station if the iPod touch had this feature.

If anyone knows of something that can do this, or is in development that may be able to do it, please let me know!

I can't believe it would be too hard to do (for someone who knew what they were doing) as the iPod is already connected to the base station.

2. macremote macrumors newbie

Ipod Touch WIFI-remote for itunes playing music

Yes, imagine having all your music on your mac-mini somewhere on the network, and through the ipod touch with wifi, shuffling through the remote music with cover flow on the display. The mac-mini is off course connected to the HI-FI, and are doing the actual playing.
    THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING!
    An ipod touch remote for deciding what music should be played on the stereo, or watching movies through AppleTV?

Anyone solved this yet?

T

3. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

I was thinking about this last night coincidentally!

I'm planning on getting an iPod touch in a couple of weeks and have Airport Express set-up in my room.

What I'd love to be able to do is either stream from the iPT to the Airport Express unit and then to my speakers, or even control my iTunes from my MacBook Pro and have the speakers plugged in, any suggestions?

Are there any applications that can control a computer mouse or something like that, with an iPod Touch?

As I don't have the iPod yet I don't know all that much about it, but I've been doing some reading on iJailbreak and think I'll be trying that sometime soon!

4. KmanOz macrumors regular

KmanOz

5. bwanac macrumors regular

What I would like to see is a way to stream my iTunes library on my Macbook wirelessly to my iPT. That way I could control my library from my computer while I work on it and cut out the wires involved hooking up through the 3.5mm jack. Time to dive deeper and see what I can find.

6. fivehimself macrumors newbie

You can do this by installing iPhone Remote on your MacBook and login throught Safari on your iPod.
    You can even stream songs by tapping them! The only thing is that you can not play complete albums (maybe by making playlists.. I haven't tried yet..)

But there should by an update by Apple giving you the option to stream your music from your iPod to your Airport Express... I can't understand they didn't add this feature in the out-of-the box design..

I tweaked my iPod with all the cool stuff I found and now it does almost everything I want.. It's like the best PDA ever, designed by Apple :)

7. Pared macrumors 65816

Why the hell would you use an exclamation point, like you discovered something or found out how to get the two to work together.

Unbelievable.

8. owen-b macrumors 6502a

Awww, did you come in here hoping for someone to have worked it out, but discovered they hadn't and need to lash out at someone?
    :p

9. bwanac macrumors regular

Almost what I want, but I want to be able to control what I play from my Mac, not the iPod. The iPod merely acts as a wireless receiver of the streamed songs over my network.

10. Eccentric macrumors newbie

No, no, no, no! :)

We want to stream from our iPod to AirPort Express; simple as that!

No web-hosts running on Macs or PCs, no remote controlling MacBooks, no MacMinis doing the real playing.

AirTunes for iPod.

I'm old enough to have a collection of CDs needing more storage space than any Mac or PC can deliver (1TB is still not enough). So, I've used iTunes to rip them to my NAS in Apple LossLess format. Now they're available to everyone in my household, ready to stream to any AirPort Express in the house. If only...

So: Please, please, please put AirTunes on the iPT.

Cheers, everyone :D

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You're not making any sense. You say you want to stream from your iPod directly to your APE but then go on to say that the files you want to stream are located on a NAS device.

You're asking for two (or maybe 3) separate things; you want streaming of files from your touch to your APE, you want streaming from your NAS to your iPod, and sounds like you also want to remotely control another device that would stream to your APE.

12. Eccentric macrumors newbie

Oh, but it makes perfect sense!

I really do only want one thing: Streaming from the iPT to the APE. No more.

Does it make a difference where the iPT finds the files?

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It makes all the difference where the files are located. For starters, the touch can't play files from remote locations right now, let alone pass those along to another device.

14. Eccentric macrumors newbie

I see, hm...

So, its WiFi capabilities are that limited? USB is the only way to get music files onto iPT?

You see, I haven't got one; and now it seems I don't want one...?

15. Pared macrumors 65816

Actually I discovered someone attempting to be cute and fail miserably.

If you don't have anything to add, don't hit the reply button.

As for the topic, the touch can play files from a remote location. You should check out the software called Signal.

This is absolutely possible. Why they wouldn't develop this and market it to fuel sales of the APE... well, you got me there.

16. Eccentric macrumors newbie

Cheers Pared,

Signal will only control a media player on a PC or Mac. According to mrgreen4242 it will not connect to my NAS.

However, since iPod won't connect to AiportExpress either, Signal seems to be the best bet for the moment.

Not wanting to attract the wrath of owen-b, I wish to express my gratitude towards all contributors in this thread.

Regards,
    Anders

17. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Now that Apple TV 2.0 has AirTunes, maybe they are planning on adding it to perhaps the April Software update for $20....

It'd be a great feature.

18. br0787 macrumors newbie

wirelessly play music

I know this is a mac forum,but I have a solution to play music wirelessly without having any Apple products other than the iPod Touch or iPhone.

I have a laptop with my iTunes library on it, plugged into my speakers. I use the Remote software on my iPod to control my iTunes library, which plays directly to my speakers. I also have another laptop with Windows XP Pro on it, and I can use the first laptop to RDP to the other laptop, and in turn control either library and play through the speakers.

Hope this helps someone, works great for me!

19. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Psst...It helps, but the last post in this thread was before the iPhone 2.0 software was even announced.....and I'm sure just about everybody has heard of the Remote app by now, haha.

20. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Mine seems to work great, does it work with iTunes? And not the Remote app?

21. HG05 macrumors newbie

Ipod and Airport Express only for wireless music?

I would like to see if there is a way of wirelessly connecting my Ipod Touch directly to an Airport Express which would be connected to a receiver. I have the Remote app, but this controls the Itunes on my Mac and then Airtunes. I want to be able to eliminate the need for the Mac and Itunes and just play my Ipod in my house wirelessly. Thanks for any help.

22. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Can't you stream music directly from the iPod touch via its iTunes app and AirTunes if I understand this thread right? I was going to buy an iPod touch just for this.

23. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

As of iOS 4.2 it is possible for the iPod touch stream music and videos over AirPlay. This thread was posted years before that feature was introduced.