Airtunes and My iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BioBen, Feb 11, 2008.

1. BioBen macrumors newbie

I have encountered a troublesome reality today when I went out to purchase an airport express with airtunes. There are none. All of the apple stores and First Tech are out of them in the Twin Cities.

I've read a few posts about Apple phasing these out, but little mention of what will replace them.

The express was a great product. I wish my iPhone could connect to airtunes, but that's another thread.

Any advice about the airport express? Should I purchase one now online or wait? I just bought an airport extreme with the addition of a g-drive mini external hard drive. I was aware of the new time capsule base station/hard drive, but needed the hard drive to be mobile since it houses all of my music and photos.

I guess my questions are -
    What's next for airtunes and airport express?
    When can I connect to airtunes with my iPhone?

Any direction or suggestions would be sweet.

2. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

I think your more likely to see Iphone supporting direct send to Airport Express in future versions rather than them being phased out. It's just way too cool a technology to be got rid of.

3. BioBen thread starter macrumors newbie

I totally agree. I'm curious why the new time capsule and airport extreme don't have airtunes capability. It should be included in all of their wireless devices.

4. Snips macrumors regular

I agree.

I really like the Airport Express and use two: at home they serve to pipe (sic) music around the house, and one of them goes with me on business to have a wireless set-up in my hotel room.

I'm bemused that the Extreme doesn't have AirTunes support :confused:

Having AirTunes support on the iPhone / Touch would be very cool, for sure

5. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

The program Remote Buddy does exactly that. It lets you use your iPhone or iTouch to control your computer with iTunes on it and change the music. If your computer is connected to AirTunes then you get the funtionality that you want. It also does alot of cool other things!!